• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

His or Mine??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xo Ali

My divorce was final on July 26,2000. In the decree it states that my (then) husband had 30 days in which to remove his belongings from our home. The thirty days were up yesterday. He has spent his time on the golf course and running about with his new wife instead of concerning himself with making arrangements to pack and move anything from our home. He knows that I am forced to sell our home and that I cannot do so unless his things are gone, allowing me to paint and clean etc...My question is (and I have asked my attorney) how much longer must I wait? Do these things now become mine to do with whatever I would want? My attorney is trying to 'keep peace' by telling me that I should not do anything...but wait for him to collect his stuff. In the meantime, this is holding up my ability to market the house. I am to a point of posting an ad in the local paper, 'free for the hauling', but I'm restraining myself. I live in Illinois.
Thanks for any advice... Ali p.s. Golf Clubs, anyone?? :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xo Ali:
My divorce was final on July 26,2000. In the decree it states that my (then) husband had 30 days in which to remove his belongings from our home. The thirty days were up yesterday. He has spent his time on the golf course and running about with his new wife instead of concerning himself with making arrangements to pack and move anything from our home. He knows that I am forced to sell our home and that I cannot do so unless his things are gone, allowing me to paint and clean etc...My question is (and I have asked my attorney) how much longer must I wait? Do these things now become mine to do with whatever I would want? My attorney is trying to 'keep peace' by telling me that I should not do anything...but wait for him to collect his stuff. In the meantime, this is holding up my ability to market the house. I am to a point of posting an ad in the local paper, 'free for the hauling', but I'm restraining myself. I live in Illinois.
Thanks for any advice... Ali p.s. Golf Clubs, anyone?? :)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Have your attorney write him a Certified letter listing all of the property, and notifying him that it is your intent to take dominion over the property and dispose of the same within XX number of days. Explain the damages this is causing to you for each day the property stays, and cite the portion of the order requiring him to take his property. After that date, you are considering the property abandoned.

BURN THE STUFF in effigy.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

X

xo Ali

Thanks for the sound advice. I will contact my attorney first thing Monday morning.

------------------
xo Ali

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">