• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOW CAN I REGAIN CUSTODY OF MY 3CHILDREN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

ZFMOM

MY DIVORCE WAS FINALIZED 4 MONTHS AGO.I HAD VERY POOR LEGAL ADVICE DURING THIS WHOLE THING.BEING VERY NAIVE ABOUT THE WHOLE LEGAL SYSTEM I SIGNED A PARENTING PLAN THAT ULTIMATELY GAVE CUSTODY OF MY 3 CHILDREN TO MY EX-HUSBAND! ALSO I HAVE TO LOOK AT MY EX EVERYDAY AT MY DOORSTEP IN ORDER SEE MY CHILDREN EVERYDAY. I CAN'T WORK BECAUSE A JOB WILL KEEP ME AWAY FROM 7-4OR5 SO I WOULDN'T EVEN BE ABLE TO SEE MY KIDS. I'M SUPPOSE TO SEE THEM FROM 3-6PM MON-FRI AND EVERY OTHER WEEKEND.ANYWAY I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD TRY TO CHANGE THE EXISTING PARENTING PLAN OR SHOULD I GO IN WITH GUNS BLAZING AND GO FOR A FULL BLOWN CUSTODY BATTLE? I WANT MY KIDS BACK!! HOW COULD I HAVE PUT SO MUCH TRUST INTO MY PAST LAWYER?

MySonsMom

I'm pretty sure but if everything is finalized the only way to go back is if there is a "change in circumstance" with the father. Looking at your visitation schedule, you really do get a lot more time with them then the "normal" visitation schedule given. I think a lot of moms and dads would love to see their children as much time as you are given. You signed the visitation agreement knowing what it entailed..im assuming. I think that it would be easier for you to go back and have the visitation times changed rather then to try and go in to get the children to come live with you. If you are not able to do that, then it looks as though you have two choices..Find a job that accomodates your visitation or work with your ex on changing visitation days/times. Good luck! :)

------------------

K

KarenSmith

Hi, ZF, I had to look at this post as from the dads side, that is, there are soooo many dads who are in the same boat. Most still are able, somehow to go to work. they have to.
If you're not working, how could you think that you could go "in with guns blazing"? That ammunition is expensive. Sorry you feel that your attorney wasn't helpful, but MSM's right, unless there's a SUBSTANTIAL change, after four months, especially, you may be best in dealing with the ex- at the door, or wherever, and try to get more time.
Eventually, he may change his mind about having the kids(don't hope for it).
Maybe, being there, when he needs you to care for them, some call it "babysitting", and co-operating as much as possible, he'll work something out with you. Does he work days? Just a thought. Good Luck, Mom. KPS

k

[This message has been edited by KarenSmith (edited July 23, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">