• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do divorced parents share the medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bls

Joint legal and physical custody in california. my son lives with his dad for the school years and I have him for the full summers and some holiday time. the father has health insurance through his job and we also have health insurance. Now who pays the childs deductables and out of pocket cost , since he is covered by insurance with both parents? thank you for reading my post and any advise.....brenda

T

tiredstepmom

LeagleBeagle: What if the costs are not discussed before hand and it is just expected that you pay $750 for braces for your half? This is in Texas.

LegalBeagle

It should never be 'expected' to pay that sort of money. Part of having joint custody is that you discuss and share things.

When this happens you have a few choices..

1. get a copy of all the paperwork.
2. Write a letter informing them not to do it again... ie, need to discuss in advance
3. Either bite the bullet and pay, or refuse. This will of course sour a decent relationship and could end up costing you a lot more in legal fees...

Personally, I would ask for the papers, write and tell them not to do it again and then pay my share. If it happens a second time, refuse and go to court.

B

bls

i understand 50/50 for out of pocket cost that both of our insurances together will not cover, but how does 50/50 work when we both still have our own deductables for our seperate insurances?

T

Tigres

[/quote]Split the cost 50/50 Any big amounts need to be discussed before hand and agreed. [/quote]

Is this the law or just common sense? When my ex and I split medical costs not covered by insurance, we split it based on the percentages used for child support. This was written into our ageement though.

Also, I haven't actually billed him except once right after the divorce. Would definitely do so if the bill was over $100. Can I still send him the receipts and request payment for the times I didn't bill him? What would the time limit be on something like that?

Thanks!

Tig :p

------------------
I am not a lawyer. Any information relayed is merely my own experience or research.

MySonsMom

Whatever is paid by either parent, the one that paid makes a copy and gives the bill to the other for payment of half. That is the best and easiest way to handle the medical bills. Whether it's a co pay or balance payment. Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

B

bls

is therapy , counseling, social workers, physcologist, the same as medical? because the court papers say " the parties" agree to abtain and maintain a policy of health insurance and pay all medical and dental cost which are not covered by this insurance, including the amounts deductable....my question is does this mean we have to get insurance coverage for our child together or can we have seperate insurances for him? and by what the court papers say ..who pays for the deductables since we both do have our own insurances for our child....brenda

MySonsMom

Normally, someone will be have the child on their insurance as primary. The other insurance is secondary. What is not covered by primary should be submitted by secondary, and then what isn't paid should be split equally between both parents. Counseling and all of that stuff you asked about IS medical expenses and should be split equally. If you make a co payment of $10 you send the copy to the other parent requesting $5 reimbursement..same goes on the flip side..Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

D

DJ1

50/50 IS CRAZY. IF ONE PARTY MAKES MORE MONEY THAN THE OTHER, DOMESTIC SETS THE PERCENTAGE FOR EACH. MY COURT ORDER STATES HE PAYS 85% AND I ONLY 15%. I WILL HAVE TO PAY THE FIRST 250.00 ON EACH CHILD EVERY YEAR AND THE REST IS SPLIT 85/15. CHECK WITH DOMESTIC THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL. THEY ARE VERY BUSY SO YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CALL OR A MEETING. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN WRITING. GOOD LUCK
DJ1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">