• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a witness in a custody case and am being harrassed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poeticheart

I don't know that my question truly fits in the family law forum; however, I can't find an other area that is more on-point. I have become involved in a custody case between my husband's and my previous best friends. (We will be testifying for the father). The mother is, of course, angry at us for not "siding" with her. She has been harrassing us for the last six weeks... spreading rumors and making vague threats.

She is telling anyone that will listen that I am having an affair with her husbands... which is very untrue. She is also telling everyone that she is implementing a plan of revenge against me and my family... and that she is going to "ruin" us...

This seems very petty... however, this woman is extremely aggressive and vindictive. I am frightened of her.

Is there anything that I can do? A protective order???

------------------
Thank you in advance.

S

shannon prendergast

i dont know if you can get any type of restraining order but dont back down. my boyfriend is going through a nasty divorce and his soon to be ex is the same way. she was just released from a year of prison in november. she used to call all her friends and my boyfriends friends trying to get info on us. she had to call collect from jail and people beging asking her to stop. some of our friends said she yelled and screamed and became harassing. now she is out and many people don't want to get involved because she is so petty and they are almost afraid of her. many have kids at the same school as hers and are afraid of her starting things against the kids. we moved to get away from her because of all the littler annoying things she pulls and now our friends are afraid to go to court for us because they now live in the same town with her and we don't. she is just devious and very childish. we really can't do anything unless we have the lawyer file so these friends have to appear in court and testify against her, and then we loose friends. if you do find a solution, please let me know. i think there are laws against slander. good luck.

S

shannon prendergast

i dont know if you can get any type of restraining order but dont back down. my boyfriend is going through a nasty divorce and his soon to be ex is the same way. she was just released from a year of prison in november. she used to call all her friends and my boyfriends friends trying to get info on us. she had to call collect from jail and people beging asking her to stop. some of our friends said she yelled and screamed and became harassing. now she is out and many people don't want to get involved because she is so petty and they are almost afraid of her. many have kids at the same school as hers and are afraid of her starting things against the kids. we moved to get away from her because of all the littler annoying things she pulls and now our friends are afraid to go to court for us because they now live in the same town with her and we don't. she is just devious and very childish. we really can't do anything unless we have the lawyer file so these friends have to appear in court and testify against her, and then we loose friends. if you do find a solution, please let me know. i think there are laws against slander. good luck.

P

poeticheart

Thanks. I know that the only thing I can do is sue her. I did speak to a lawyer and he did say I had a slander suit... but there is nothing I can do to shut her mouth...

It is really pathetic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">