• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have heard about PAS. Look at my story and tell me what I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmav

My ex and his side of the family are saying degrading things about me and my side of the family to the children when they go over for visits. These are words that no child should have to hear. They are also asking questions alot when they are there. The boys have expressed to me about how they don't like that, and now don't want to go because of having to put up with the constant remarks and questions. I have tried to talk to my ex's wife about this only to get cussed out and hung up on. What can I do legaly about this to put a stop to them doing this to the boys? Please help. I live in Texas.

usmcfamily

First and foremost - you should be working directly with your ex and not his wife....this is not said as an attack on your methods, simply as a way to direct your efforts a little better.....the children are you and your ex's responsibility and the two of you are the parties named in the custody/visitation agreements - not her. As a stepmother she has no place in the politics of your efforts to communicate with their father - I know that will take some heat from some step-parent's out there, but in this case you are getting nowhere by dealing with her and so need to be more direct in the communications.
Legally there may be little you can do - other than talking with an attorney to see if a LONG EXPENSIVE and probably completely USELESS court battle would result in anything for you. Your children's expressed reluctance to visit could be considered if you did go to court (to request modification of the visitation order) - a judge may consider their opinion (depending on their ages)and it is possible that even if no change were made the judge may opt to give a little "lecture" to the father and leave it to him to pass the information along to the parties involved in the badmouthing and leave it to him to correct the situation.
As I said, any court proceedings would likely be long, expensive and highly ineffective, but if you feel committed enough to this you will want to talk to a lawyer in your area -- most offer free initial consultations and at least you could get the opinion of someone with experience in your jurisdiction with the judges opinions on these matters.
Good luck and God Bless

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">