• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my child to live with my brother, how do I make him legal guardian?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stumpy2122

I have a 10 year old son, that is totally uncontrolable. He has done everything from stealing, setting the neighbors yard on fire, to threatening to kill my daughter when she goes to bed at night (shes 7) Poor thing is so scared now that she wont sleep in her own bed. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and had been on Ritilan for about 2 years now. HE threatens to over dose on his meds. Dosn't do his homework or chores around the house. My husband and I have tried everything we can think of from spanking, to grounding to couseling,, nothing is helping. Recently we checked in to Boot Camp for kids his age. Well that didnt help much as we cant afford to send him there. I am afraid that if we dont get him some help and soon, that he will either be on drugs, in jail or dead by the time he turns 15, if he lasts that long. Dont get me wrong.... I love my son with all my heart,,,, my kids are my reason for waking up each morning. Well, when I talked to my older brother, who is in the military, he suggested we send him out there to live for a while and see if he can straighten him out for us. He has 5 kids of his own, and I have to admit,, I have never and I mean never,,, seen any kids more well behaved then them. After discussing this with all our family,,, my hubby and I decided we need to do something, and rather send him to boot camp to be taken care of by strangers,well,,, thats just not the route we wish to take. We have decided that (in our opinion) it cant hurt to try it. So we are wanting to let him live with his uncle for at least 6 months to a year, to see if that will help him. My questions are #1) HOw do I go about making my brother the legal guardian of my son,,, with the stipulation that it IS just temperary? Do we need a lawyer? My brother said that he can get a power of attorney on base at no charge ,, but does that cover guardianship too?? We need to get this done in a hurry so that he is situated before he starts a new school.
I live in NC and my brother lives in Missouri. We dont know what steps we have to take and my husband and I not be able to stay there very long, due to our jobs. Please help me if you can! We are wanting to take him out there on 7/23,, can this all be taken care of by then?? Thank you for your help in this matter, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!! totallyupset mom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">