• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my daughter back!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PlanesnPuters

I voluntarily gave my ex-husband custody of my daughter when she was 3 (she is now 7). He let me have her last year for her kindergarten year but now has her back. She wants to come live with me and I don't know how to go about getting custody...I am a single mom and do not have alot of money to hire a lawyer. Is there any way to get the forms and file it myself?????? I live in Missouri and my daughter and ex live in NM.
Help please....
Thanks,
Mary

L

LadyBlu

You will need to file a petition for change of custody in the state that the child resides if the order was established there.

Also you should know that most courts will not change custody from one parent to the other without showing just cause. Meaning that unless it is mutually agreed upon, you will need to prove abuse or negligence in order for the petition to be considered.

Good Luck to you..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">