• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL - Statute of Limitations and the CSRA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

usdeeper

IAAL, You said in a post titled 'Heres a hard one' by Kaytin that there may be a 'Statute of Limitations problem' in collecting past Child Support under the CSRA. I read through it, but could not find an indication of where SOL would kick in and enable to the deadbeat parent to get out of paying..

Can you explain a little more ?

Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usdeeper:
IAAL, You said in a post titled 'Heres a hard one' by Kaytin that there may be a 'Statute of Limitations problem' in collecting past Child Support under the CSRA. I read through it, but could not find an indication of where SOL would kick in and enable to the deadbeat parent to get out of paying..

Can you explain a little more ?

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sure.

First, it's nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well.

As you know, the CSRA is Federal Law. Federal law is required to use that States' laws where there are no similar "limitation periods" in the Federal law. So, State limitation periods apply to the CSRA.

As we have previously learned, when it is the State or the County or Town that is attempting collections, there is no Statute of Limitations. In other words, when a governmental entity, such as a State, is doing the collecting, the collection procedure and enforcement of jail sentencing under the CSRA can occur until the time of obligor's death; and collection of money can continue beyond death by attaching the assets of an obligor's Estate.

However, if a private party CP is the one attempting to enforce an arrearage of child support, that CP has up to two years after the child's age of majority to begin CSRA proceedings. Once judgement is rendered in favor of the CP, that judgment is good for 10 years, and renewable for another 10 years upon application therefor.

In either case, however, the defense to such potential action under the CSRA, incarceration and payment of arrearages, is the legal theory of "laches" (pronounced la-cheese).

Run an Internet search for "laches" so that you can get a better understanding of that defense.

Hope this helps and explains matters for you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

U

usdeeper

Yer, I'm doing pretty good these days, albeit a little sick.

So, from what I can gather, if a court awards CS to the CP in 1980 (ncp never pays)and then does nothing until the child is 25, they have no recourse to enforce that order or claim that money since nothing was ever done until after 2 years past age of majority ? but, if the order was passed or prepared by the CSE, then it is not under the SOL of the CSRA ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">