• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if child quits or is dropped from school because of being out too long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnzbronz

My daughter lives in lancaster, SC with her mom and "stepdad" she has missed a lot of school, i have talked with school counselor and he says he will be dropped from school. if this happens. am i still responsible for her child support....i know she has a job. and her mom has allienated her from me...my son too...my daughter is 17....18 in april of next yr....what are my options.....thanks......God bless

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnzbronz:
My daughter lives in lancaster, SC with her mom and "stepdad" she has missed a lot of school, i have talked with school counselor and he says he will be dropped from school. if this happens. am i still responsible for her child support....i know she has a job. and her mom has allienated her from me...my son too...my daughter is 17....18 in april of next yr....what are my options.....thanks......God bless<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Despite the fact that your daughter may wind up dropping out of high school (very sad), you still have a legal obligation to support her (even though she has a job) until the age of 18. This is true, also, unless you can prove to the court that your daughter is currently "self supporting". I have listed, below, the controlling law in response to your question, as follows:

South Carolina Statute
20-7-420

. . .

"(17) To make all orders for support run until further order of the court, except that orders for child support run until the child is eighteen years of age or until the child is married or becomes self-supporting, as determined by the court, whichever occurs first or to provide for child support past the age of eighteen years if the child is in high school and is making satisfactory progress toward completion of high school, not to exceed the nineteenth birthday unless exceptional circumstances are found to exist or unless there is a preexisting agreement or order to provide for child support past the age of eighteen years; and in the discretion of the court, to provide for child support past age eighteen where there are physical or mental disabilities of the child or other exceptional circumstances that warrant the continuation of child support beyond age eighteen for as long as the physical or mental disabilities or exceptional circumstances continue."

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by johnzbronz:
My daughter lives in lancaster, SC with her mom and "stepdad" she has missed a lot of school, i have talked with school counselor and he says he will be dropped from school. if this happens. am i still responsible for her child support....i know she has a job. and her mom has allienated her from me...my son too...my daughter is 17....18 in april of next yr....what are my options.....thanks......God bless<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is from the SC Child Enforcement Question and Answer page: http://www.state.sc.us/dss/csed/faqs.htm

How long is the NCP ordered to pay child support?
Once the NCP is ordered to pay child support, the order is effective until the NCP petitions the court for a dismissal order and the court dismisses the support order. When the child is emancipated, or reaches the age of eighteen (18), the NCP may petition the court for a dismissal order. However, if the child is still in school or there are other reasons for the court to order child support to continue, the court may do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">