• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'll go to jail to protect my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deeskeet

I am currently involved in a very nasty visitation issue with my ex-husband. I have refused him visitation with his children on the grounds that he physically, verbally, and mentaly abuses them. He also tries his best to discredit me as a mother to try and not make himself look so bad. The kids have been court appointed their own attorney. The problem is that my attorney and the kids attorney are telling me that it is just our word against his. He is claiming that I am a disgruntal ex-spouse and that I am making up all the alligations against him and making my kids lie. How can I stop him from hurting my kids. The kids attorney is making me send them, for now, for three hour visits in a public place every first and third weekend of the month, at least until we go back to court and the judge makes a decision. I am scared that the judge will send them back to him for full vistions and something is going to happen to one of them. How can I stop him without going to jail for contempt of court. I feel like this is my only options as of now. Help please, he has been on his best behavior, with the kids, while they are with him on visits. What about if he gets them back for full visitation and they no longer are in a safe place?

Hopeless in Oklahoma

T

Tracey

Unless you're willing to go underground with the kids, you have to work within the system.

How old are your kids? Can you teach them to cope with his verbal/emotional abuse and report it to their G.A.L. later? Therapy can help with this if they're old enough. How physically abusive is he? Smacking? Bruises? Broken bones?

If the kids come home with ANY marks, you can get their school to document the damage and call in CPS. You can also get a restraining order on their behalf ordering him not to strike, hit, kick, trip, push, or otherwise cause physical harm to the kids.

Both you and the kids should keep journals of what he says and does while they visit him. Don't read or help them write theirs. You don't want to be accused of influencing their journals.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

T

Tracey

Unless you're willing to go underground with the kids, you have to work within the system.

How old are your kids? Can you teach them to cope with his verbal/emotional abuse and report it to their G.A.L. later? Therapy can help with this if they're old enough. How physically abusive is he? Smacking? Bruises? Broken bones?

If the kids come home with ANY marks, you can get their school to document the damage and call in CPS. You can also get a restraining order on their behalf ordering him not to strike, hit, kick, trip, push, or otherwise cause physical harm to the kids.

Both you and the kids should keep journals of what he says and does while they visit him. Don't read or help them write theirs. You don't want to be accused of influencing their journals.

Ask your attorney if s/he has any other advice or tips.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">