• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal sale of private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

papiliofair

I am not sure if I did this right yesterday. I bought a car in TN last August(1999). I needed a co-signer so my step-father co-signed with me. I made the down payment and every payment after that for one year. One month i had asked him to come with me to sell my car because I couldn't afford that months payment. He refused saying he would rather keep the car in the family then sell it. So he made the payment for that month. While I was moving to college, he took my car and used it as a trade-in on a car for himself in Alabama. I was unaware he was planning on selling or that he had sold it. I signed no paper work releasing my name from the contract. The dealer told my mother that she could sign in my place. My question is how valid is the sale of the car without my signature on any of the paper work? I was 18 when i bought the car and 19 when he sold it. Thank you, furious in TN

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papiliofair:
I am not sure if I did this right yesterday. I bought a car in TN last August(1999). I needed a co-signer so my step-father co-signed with me. I made the down payment and every payment after that for one year. One month i had asked him to come with me to sell my car because I couldn't afford that months payment. He refused saying he would rather keep the car in the family then sell it. So he made the payment for that month. While I was moving to college, he took my car and used it as a trade-in on a car for himself in Alabama. I was unaware he was planning on selling or that he had sold it. I signed no paper work releasing my name from the contract. The dealer told my mother that she could sign in my place. My question is how valid is the sale of the car without my signature on any of the paper work? I was 18 when i bought the car and 19 when he sold it. Thank you, furious in TN<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to repost this to the business/financial board...

A

auntsandy

just off the top of my head he co signed for you you were 18 which means the bank actually put his name first which actually means it was his yours if you paid it I am no lawyer but I would go to small claims court and get the money you invested minus wear and miles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">