• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Laws?? Motion to Vacate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xo Ali

Okay, now I am really steamin'
My divorce was final (as in signed,sealed and delivered) on July 26,2000. In part, the settlement that was reached included my posession & total ownership of one of our cars, with the balance due to the bank to be paid by my spouse within 30 days of the divorce. Within that time limit, he has decided that 'he didn't realize' that HE was to pay for the car. He contacted his attorney and they have filed a motion to vacate that portion of the settlement, stating 'a misunderstanding'!!! To add to this total mess...he got married one week after our divorce.
My contention is that as long as he is has married, he has compounded his position. (so to speak :)
How could it be possible to open up the divorce settlement with no just cause or reason for change...when he is now married and wouldn't he have to annul the marriage first? So, now I ask you....has anyone heard of such case law? Oh, let's put things in proper perspective...my spouse...the one that didn't realize what he was signing...is the seated State's Attorney for this county. hmmmm.
thanks in advance.
leave a note or write to
[email protected]

------------------
xo Ali

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xo Ali:
Okay, now I am really steamin'
My divorce was final (as in signed,sealed and delivered) on July 26,2000. In part, the settlement that was reached included my posession & total ownership of one of our cars, with the balance due to the bank to be paid by my spouse within 30 days of the divorce. Within that time limit, he has decided that 'he didn't realize' that HE was to pay for the car. He contacted his attorney and they have filed a motion to vacate that portion of the settlement, stating 'a misunderstanding'!!! To add to this total mess...he got married one week after our divorce.
My contention is that as long as he is has married, he has compounded his position. (so to speak :)
How could it be possible to open up the divorce settlement with no just cause or reason for change...when he is now married and wouldn't he have to annul the marriage first? So, now I ask you....has anyone heard of such case law? Oh, let's put things in proper perspective...my spouse...the one that didn't realize what he was signing...is the seated State's Attorney for this county. hmmmm.
thanks in advance.
leave a note or write to
[email protected]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

He can scream all he wants. When the agreement was signed by him, the presumption was that he read and understood it. This will weigh heavily against him, moreso, because he is an attorney himself, and had an attorney represent him in the matter. His counsel is scrambling because that attorney may have made a mistake. I don't believe your ex is going to be able to have that, or any portion, of the agreement overturned. There is no justifiable reason.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

X

xo Ali

Oh thank God...and thank you, too!!
Have a wonderful rest of the week!

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xo Ali:
Oh, let's put things in proper perspective...my spouse...the one that didn't realize what he was signing...is the seated State's Attorney for this county. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like posts like this.. "didn't realize what he was signing" :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">