• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrigible stepson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davegray

My situation is complex and I'll try to simplify it the best I can:
-9 years ago I married a woman w/3 kids
-father of children has never paid court ordered child support
-we live in So Cal (San Bernardino Co)
-15 1/2 son arrested for various problems
-family court judge put him into placement
-recently returned by first placement due to problem behavior
-probation dept informed my wife that they will re-place him somewhere else. They also told her that we were going to get billed $4,000/mth and a lien would be placed on our home
=====================================
-what rights do i have as a step father? his name was legally changed to mine several years ago but I did not adopt him
-why doesn't the DA go after the deadbeat father? more than $65000 in arrears
-would a Q/D protect my home?
-if we wind up in divorce am I responsible for everyone's support?
-should I seek immediate legal counsel?

D

Dawn Marie

Your last question speeks for itself.Seek out legal advise before It's too late.Custody matters take a long time and many children are hurt and confused because of the court system.But when it comes to taking your money,home and pride they waist no time at all.Get the ball rolling FAST.

S

step mom

Just wondering... why did you and his mom agree to change his last name to yours? Were you not willing to be responsible for him? Was this a "pay-back" at the "dead-beat dad"? Sounds like this kid has ALOT of emotional baggage. He needs help, not abandonment. Not trying to ignore the financial aspect, but TRY to work through this with your wife. All families have struggles, some larger than others. But this kid and your marriage need the same attitude now that you had when his last name was legally changed.

A

Attorney_Replogle

You are not responsible for the back child support. It is the state's responsibility to go after him for that. As to the $4,000 per month and the lien on your home, I can't say much about that as I don't have all the facts, laws, and reasoning of the court before me. I can tell you this though, whether they have the right to do this or not, they will do it to you. They simply don't give a rat's ass. You must seek out the help of a good family law attorney near you. You can find one at attorneypages.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">