• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance money and my crazy ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

whitsmom

Here we go again with my ex! We live in FL. (diffrent counties) I recently took him to court for child support. We were never married. He was very abusive and I split up with him for good 6 years ago...have been married 5 years to another man...my daughter is 9...ex only asks to see her ever 6-12 months. (last visit was in June)

We went to court for support in August. Ex says he never got his "paperwork" about how much and where to send the money. He says he doesn't intend to pay anyway..doesn't care about jail and has no drivers license.

Ex is now behind over $5,000 with the back support and current he hasn't paid yet. One minute he wants my husband to adopt our daughter...the next he is cussing me out..today he threatened to kill me (again...I have had 6 restraining orders against him in 8-9 years, my last one has expired.)

I notified him that I will no longer be having any unrecorded phone conversations with him.

Questions:

1. Should I send him a certified letter stating that I will no longer have any unrecorded conv. with him and also "remind" him in the letter the jist of what he said that made me feel threatened?

2. Can I do anything about his threats to me and my husband?

3. He has some inheritance money that will be dispursed soon. I am seriously afraid that he would blow my head off if I mess with his inheritance...but CAN it be attatched if he owes support? I won't REALLY go after it because I am afraid of what he would do, but maybe if he thinks I CAN he will finally quit saying he wants my husband to adopt and let him. Sad to say, but my daughter isn't worth $225 a month to him, much less $5,000 at once.

4. Due to his extensive jail record, domestic violence and drug record, his non-payment of support (so far) and practically non-existant relationship with our daugher would I stand a snow ball's chance to get his rights taken away if he doesn't consent? One lawyer I spoke to said no, but I guess I want another opinion.

Thanks for any input.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by whitsmom:
Here we go again with my ex! We live in FL. (diffrent counties) I recently took him to court for child support. We were never married. He was very abusive and I split up with him for good 6 years ago...have been married 5 years to another man...my daughter is 9...ex only asks to see her ever 6-12 months. (last visit was in June)

We went to court for support in August. Ex says he never got his "paperwork" about how much and where to send the money. He says he doesn't intend to pay anyway..doesn't care about jail and has no drivers license.

Ex is now behind over $5,000 with the back support and current he hasn't paid yet. One minute he wants my husband to adopt our daughter...the next he is cussing me out..today he threatened to kill me (again...I have had 6 restraining orders against him in 8-9 years, my last one has expired.)

I notified him that I will no longer be having any unrecorded phone conversations with him.

Questions:

1. Should I send him a certified letter stating that I will no longer have any unrecorded conv. with him and also "remind" him in the letter the jist of what he said that made me feel threatened?

2. Can I do anything about his threats to me and my husband?

3. He has some inheritance money that will be dispursed soon. I am seriously afraid that he would blow my head off if I mess with his inheritance...but CAN it be attatched if he owes support? I won't REALLY go after it because I am afraid of what he would do, but maybe if he thinks I CAN he will finally quit saying he wants my husband to adopt and let him. Sad to say, but my daughter isn't worth $225 a month to him, much less $5,000 at once.

4. Due to his extensive jail record, domestic violence and drug record, his non-payment of support (so far) and practically non-existant relationship with our daugher would I stand a snow ball's chance to get his rights taken away if he doesn't consent? One lawyer I spoke to said no, but I guess I want another opinion.

Thanks for any input.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, this is exactly how a question should be posted.. background and then numbered questions, spaced out..

Anyway,
1. You have to inform him at the start of EVERY phone conversation that the call is being recorded.

2. Only if you have proof.

3. How many times have you taken him to court for non payments and what are the results each time ?

4. Probably not, but you should be able to stop him turning up when he feels like it and having visitation. Is it supervised or unsupervised visitation ?

W

whitsmom

Hi LB. Thanks for your time again.

We have no court ordered custody or visitation. I have let him see her on the rare occasion he has asked because I was torn...she didn't do anything, why should she be penalized by not seeing her father vs he is not a good influence or very responsible. The visitation has been supervised by his brother and his wife at their house, but the only court order in place is the recent support.

We haven't been to court for non-payment..this was newly ordered as of August and he has yet to make any payments.

I have a very hard decision to make. For more than 1/2 of her life, my daughter has been loved and cared for every day by my husband, who she thinks of as her daddy too. I know that it would be in her best interest to cut all ties with her bio dad and let him take me tou court (which I doubt he ever will), but she still asks about him. The once or twice a year that he wants to see her pacifies his conscious, but it just opens her up to the pain of being abandoned all over again. Any advice, even if just friendly, not necessarily legal? Maybe someone on the outside would be more objective.

I am embarrassed to say that the reason I even pursued support was because I though he would relinquish his rights to avoid paying.

I shudder to think if something would happen to me and my daughter be torn from the only father she really knows to have to live with my ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">