• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Iowa I make $75,000 she makes $47,000 married 28 years do I have to pay alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bhanson

I just wanted to know if I make $75,000 she makes $47,000 no kids at home would I have to pay alimony in a divorce?

LegalBeagle

There are many factors involved and not just how much you each earn.. education level, whether she can substain her current life style after the divorce, what her career prospects are, what bills she will have etc etc etc etc...

I suggest you search the internet for subject matter and see what has happened to others...

Cut and pasted from some website cos I am to lazy to type..

You want to answer the question, "how much alimony will there be?"

It depends a lot on the state where you live. Some state laws pretty much prohibit spousal support (popularly known as "alimony") entirely.

Other state laws encourage very generous alimony amounts, especially for marriages of ten years' duration or longer, which attempt to keep the spouse at the same standard of living as he or she was during the marriage.

Within the context of your state's law, here are some of the factors the courts typically consider in deciding how much alimony to award.

The standard of living of the parties (higher means more alimony).

The ability of the payer to pay (more means more alimony).

The parties' reasonable needs under the circumstances.

The income and property of each party.

The duration of the marriage (longer means more alimony).

The age and health of both parties.

The present and future earning capacity of both parties.

The ability of the party seeking maintenance to be self supporting, how long that will take, and what training will be required.

Any reduced or lost lifetime earning capacity as a result of having foregone or delayed education, training, employment, or career opportunities during the marriage.

The presence of children in the respective homes of the parties.

The tax consequences to each party.

The contributions as parent, wage earner, homemaker, and to career or career potential of the other party.

The wasteful spending of marital property by either spouse (the spender is penalized).

Any giving away of marital property before the divorce filing (the one who gave it away is penalized).

Cohabitation of the recipient spouse, as it affects his or her needs.

[This message has been edited by LegalBeagle (edited August 23, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">