• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Custody of 15 year-old daughter.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DebraA

Hi All!
I live in Georgia and my soon to be ex (separated for 3 years) lives in Florida with my 15 year-old daughter. In the next few weeks I plan on filing for divorce and asking for joint custody of my daughter (which will really 'frost his cake'). If he contests this...I'm thinking that the judge will determine whether both households are stable, the parties are stable and have sufficient incomes and then abide by what my daughter's wishes are....is this correct? Also how would the child support work in a joint custody arrangement...surely there would be none paid by either party if we each supported her half of the year? Thanks in advance for your advice!

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DebraA:
Hi All!
I live in Georgia and my soon to be ex (separated for 3 years) lives in Florida with my 15 year-old daughter. In the next few weeks I plan on filing for divorce and asking for joint custody of my daughter (which will really 'frost his cake'). If he contests this...I'm thinking that the judge will determine whether both households are stable, the parties are stable and have sufficient incomes and then abide by what my daughter's wishes are....is this correct? Also how would the child support work in a joint custody arrangement...surely there would be none paid by either party if we each supported her half of the year? Thanks in advance for your advice!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are talking about joint custody as in you each have the child for 6 months then forget it. The child is 15 and needs to be in one place. Chances are, unless the child specifically speaks to a judge and tell them they want to live with you, then the father will retain custody and the best you can hope for is joint custody with him having full physical custody. You will then have to pay CS for the whole year.

You can not seriously think that schooling would not be a problem if you shared physical custody when in different states ?

MySonsMom

I agree with LB. That would be so hard and ridiculous for a child to have to live that way. She lives with the Father and you have visitation. Most likely you can obtain joint custody, which only means that you have visitation to the child and can be involved with major decisions regarding the child. But you will also have to be prepared to pay child support all yr long. Think of that child and do what is best for her. Good luck!

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

D

DebraA

&lt;&lt;You can not seriously think that schooling would not be a problem if you shared physical custody when in different states?&gt;&gt;

Well, maybe my thinking is flawed but I based it on the fact that the schools in my county are some of the best in Georgia which ranks higher than almost all schools in the state of Florida regardless of the county. I thought that if she spent the first 6 mo. here then the Florida portion of her school year would be a breeze. Also, she's a very bright, flexible and outgoing 15 year-old and I thought that she would have no problem making the transition. So, given the above do you still think it's not a viable situation or adviceable situation? Thank you for your response.

MySonsMom

This is just my opinion but I would NEVER agree to such an arrangement, it has "problems" and "issues" written all over it. That is too unstable for ANY person. She is just going to get use to one school, and gain friends and then have to leave? No way, never would I even consider it. Every school teaches different, and at a different speed; she could suffer academically as well.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">