• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kids want step-dad to adopt them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rose3kids

My kids are 8 and 5 and we live in Texas.
The bio. father has not been in the picture much, and when he was around he was abusive.
My kids do not want anything to do with their
bio. father. He has not even tried to see them in almost 2 years. I remarried when my kids were 3 and 1 years old. We have been
married now for 4 years. My kids have only really had one father and that has been their
step-father. As far as child support is concerned the bio. father has been paying only for about the last 12 months. He owes about 25 thousand and is only paying now because his check is being garnished. The bio. father has only been allowed supervised
visits for the last 2 years. However he has never exercised any supervised visit.

My question is since the bio. father has shown very little interest in being a father.
Will the court's in Texas listen to my children and allow them to be adopted by their step-father? What are the laws about
terminating a fathers rights in Texas?
I just want to know what my chances are before I take it to court.

U

usdeeper

Your chances can sometimes come down to the reaction of the bio father. You can see some other posts here where the biodad has nothing to do with the children but vowes never to sign them away...

If the biodad does not contest, it will be relatively easy... if he does not agree to sign the child away, maybe a reminder that he owes 25k and jail time might be in his future.. and that signing the children to adopt would make that 25k disappear as well as his current deductions for child support.

Finally.. if he does contest and will not sign away his rights, then you still have a chance.. and for this you need to speak with an attorney for this...

However, your first step is to ask him.. It really might end up to be simple if he sees a 25k debt disappear...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">