• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a law in GA that someone of the opposite sex cannot stay overnight.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MommieInGa

My ex-husband is threatening to take my 6-1/2 year old daughter away from me. He hates me for divorcing him and would do anything to hurt me. He says that it is a law in GA that someone of the opposite sex cannot stay overnight with your child home. I would never have "relations" if there was any possibility of my daughter knowing or seeing. My daughter comes FIRST in my life. My ex-husband talked to my ex-next door neighbor and was told that my boyfriend spent the night while my daughter was home. This is NOT true. He and I would put my daughter to bed and watch TV a while before he went home and sometimes I would put my daughter to bed at my best friends (who lived across the street) and THEN my boyfriend would come over and spend the night and just leave very early so she wouldn't catch him there. Innocence or guilt is really irrelevant at this point, however my ex is threatening to have me followed and watched. My ex-neighbor said that he would go to court and testify to what he thinks he knows. I am really scared. Am I not supposed to have a boyfriend except every other weekend? Could this really be a law? (no over-nighters) My ex-husband says that it is a law in Paulding and Douglas counties. Is this true?
Really upset over the thought of losing my baby! HELP!

LegalBeagle

MommieInGa said:
My ex-husband is threatening to take my 6-1/2 year old daughter away from me. He hates me for divorcing him and would do anything to hurt me. He says that it is a law in GA that someone of the opposite sex cannot stay overnight with your child home. I would never have "relations" if there was any possibility of my daughter knowing or seeing. My daughter comes FIRST in my life. My ex-husband talked to my ex-next door neighbor and was told that my boyfriend spent the night while my daughter was home. This is NOT true. He and I would put my daughter to bed and watch TV a while before he went home and sometimes I would put my daughter to bed at my best friends (who lived across the street) and THEN my boyfriend would come over and spend the night and just leave very early so she wouldn't catch him there. Innocence or guilt is really irrelevant at this point, however my ex is threatening to have me followed and watched. My ex-neighbor said that he would go to court and testify to what he thinks he knows. I am really scared. Am I not supposed to have a boyfriend except every other weekend? Could this really be a law? (no over-nighters) My ex-husband says that it is a law in Paulding and Douglas counties. Is this true?
Really upset over the thought of losing my baby! HELP!
Your husband is full of it.. Big question.. since there was a divorce, then you have court ordered custody ? What type ? Does he visit much with the child ? Pay Child Support ?

Why is your neighbor being this way ? Any chance of you moving ?

M

MommieInGa

Opposite sex staying over night with child home

I have full custody. Yes he pays child support. He sees her every other weekend, however doesn't get her until Saturday. I recently did move away from that neighbor. He did not like me having my boyfriend over and that was when the feud between us began. He is not the reason that I moved. Anyway, I moved in with my Mother to work and save money as I had been given land and was going to build a house behind my Mothers. My Ex stays there every other weekend with my daughter because he has a roommate that doesn't like children. It creates tension.

L

LadyBlu

Re: Re: Opposite sex staying over night with child home

Tigres said:
MommieInGa said:
My Ex stays there every other weekend with my daughter because he has a roommate that doesn't like children. It creates tension.
Your ex stays where??? It sounds like you are saying he stays at your mother's during visitation. And now he's going to stir up trouble? Is he daft? Or did I misunderstand?

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net2/smilelove.gif
Tig, I think she meant he stays at his friends house that used to be near her when he had visitation.

The thing I find so hilarious about her ex making up rules as he goes along.. is that he specifies counties.. lol, we all know that State's are the ones that set up the guidelines for support, custody and visitation. :)

Her ex is a doofus...

M

MommieInGa

I am really worried about this over-night thing...

I do appreciate that the people who replied think that my x-husband is crazy for thinking this law exists, however I really do need to hear it from an attorney. Do attorneys not answer questions on this message board? If not, what is this site all about????

Also, with regard to my original subject, I should mention that while in divorce class (required in Paulding County to get a divorce) they mentioned a law (not very specific) about people of the opposite sex (without being married or related) staying overnight in the same house with a child. To be honest, I wasn't paying very close attention.. I was just counting the minutes to get out of there.

Somebody please help. This hasn't left my thoughts for weeks and I am expecting to have a court date any day now. I cannot afford an attorney as I am in the middle of purchasing a new home, so I am on my own with this. Feel free to email me.

Thanks!
Mommie

LegalBeagle

Re: I am really worried about this over-night thing...

MommieInGa said:
I do appreciate that the people who replied think that my x-husband is crazy for thinking this law exists, however I really do need to hear it from an attorney. Do attorneys not answer questions on this message board? If not, what is this site all about????

Also, with regard to my original subject, I should mention that while in divorce class (required in Paulding County to get a divorce) they mentioned a law (not very specific) about people of the opposite sex (without being married or related) staying overnight in the same house with a child. To be honest, I wasn't paying very close attention.. I was just counting the minutes to get out of there.

Somebody please help. This hasn't left my thoughts for weeks and I am expecting to have a court date any day now. I cannot afford an attorney as I am in the middle of purchasing a new home, so I am on my own with this. Feel free to email me.

Thanks!
Mommie
If custody had yet to be determined then you may have to worry about having a b/f stay over. But you have sole custody and having a b/f over is not ground to have a change of custody. If you need to, cool the overnights until it blows over, but you do not have anything to worry about.

In fact, until you are served papers of a custody hearing, ignore your ex except for arranging visitation.

One final point, it does not take an attorney to answer questions like this so please do not suggest that everyone else is just chopped liver and know nothing. Many attorneys answer questions here without actually informing you up front they are an attorney.

L

LadyBlu

Re: Re: I am really worried about this over-night thing...

One final point, it does not take an attorney to answer questions like this so please do not suggest that everyone else is just chopped liver and know nothing. Many attorneys answer questions here without actually informing you up front they are an attorney.
Mmmmmm the L&O again.. I know what I am cooking for dinner tomorrow.. *S* my kids love it too thank goodness.. all this talk of liver has me craving it now.. :)

M

MommieInGa

Law In Ga

Thanks for all the replies. I do not consider you to be chopped liver AT ALL... It's just that I came to this site originally for an attorneys advice or answers and that was why I made reference to that. I do appreciate your trying to help ! I believe I am going to call around and try to find out who to call in Paulding County that can give me the answers I need.

Thanks!
Mommie

LegalBeagle

Re: Law In Ga

MommieInGa said:
Thanks for all the replies. I do not consider you to be chopped liver AT ALL... It's just that I came to this site originally for an attorneys advice or answers and that was why I made reference to that. I do appreciate your trying to help ! I believe I am going to call around and try to find out who to call in Paulding County that can give me the answers I need.

Thanks!
Mommie
So basically we have wasted out time giving you the answer ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">