• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving state before divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Flmom

My husband has a bad temper and it scares me. I know if I try to divorce him while in the state he won't let me go and I don't know what he'll do. I want to go home to my family in Michigan where I have support and help. I want to leave then file for divorce once I get my residency in Michigan (6 months). We currently live in Florida where his family is to help. The entire family is vendictive and I need to get away. We have 2 small children and I don't want them in this enviroment any longer. Is there anything I can do?

U

usdeeper

Providing nothing has yet been filed then just pack up your bags and leave. However, he can still file for divorce and custody in Florida once you have left, but you will not be required to return to live in FL. You will have to get a Florida attorney to defend the action. If after 6 months he has filed nothing, then you can go ahead and file in MI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">