• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE BY PARENT WHEN I WAS A CHILD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MONKEYPOO

MY FATHER HAS PLAYED WITH MY EMOTIONS ALL MY LIFE. HE IS AN ALCOHOLIC HE WAS ABUSIVE TO MY MOM I WITNESSED THIS MY LIFE WAS TOTAL CHAOS. I GUESS I HAD IT ALL REGRESSED UNTILL RECENTLY NOW IM FALLING APART DR. HAS ME ON MEDS. I HAVE ANXIETY AND PANIC DISORDER ALSO POST TRAUMATIC SYNDROME. I HAVE TO ATTEND THERAPY NOW JUST TO GET THROUGH THE DAY. I LIVE IN VA. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET SOMETHING FOR THIS MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE? [email protected]

------------------
KAT

Jenifa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MONKEYPOO:
MY FATHER HAS PLAYED WITH MY EMOTIONS ALL MY LIFE. HE IS AN ALCOHOLIC HE WAS ABUSIVE TO MY MOM I WITNESSED THIS MY LIFE WAS TOTAL CHAOS. I GUESS I HAD IT ALL REGRESSED UNTILL RECENTLY NOW IM FALLING APART DR. HAS ME ON MEDS. I HAVE ANXIETY AND PANIC DISORDER ALSO POST TRAUMATIC SYNDROME. I HAVE TO ATTEND THERAPY NOW JUST TO GET THROUGH THE DAY. I LIVE IN VA. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET SOMETHING FOR THIS MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE? [email protected]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

R

Ronco

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't be worried about what you can get from your father or mother. You need to work on getting on with your life as it is now and put the past where it belongs. Everyone has been hurt one time or another. The most important step in recovery is to forgive. That will truly set your mind free. Depending on medications and therapist can't go on forever, nor should you want it to. Your goals now should be to have healthy relationships with people in your life, and forgive your father(and/or mother) for what they did in the past. I have been in your situation before and I know it can be traumatic, however I do not feel the need to call it a 'case'.

R

Ronco

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't be worried about what you can get from your father or mother. You need to work on getting on with your life as it is now and put the past where it belongs. Everyone has been hurt one time or another. The most important step in recovery is to forgive. That will truly set your mind free. Depending on medications and therapist can't go on forever, nor should you want it to. Your goals now should be to have healthy relationships with people in your life, and forgive your father(and/or mother) for what they did in the past. I have been in your situation before and I know it can be traumatic, however I do not feel the need to call it a 'case'.

Jenifa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MONKEYPOO:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly do you want?

I will go by what I interpreted and if I'm wrong, then you can correct me. It sounds like you want some substantial monetary compensation for something. If you can prove that all the problems you have today are a direct result of your father's treatment of you as a child, I believe you can sue him for the cost of therapy & meds. If you're looking for more than that, I really doubt you'll get it. Unfortunately, there are many people in similar situations to yours. If you are an adult, then basically, it's up to you to get the help you need and make sure you don't pass on the abuse. Be glad you have chosen that. Your father chose alcohol as a crutch to avoid dealing with his problems. :( Most lawyers will give a free consultation to let you know if you have a case. If you want to try to get the cost of therapy and meds paid for by him, seek a consultation w/ a lawyer.

*sorry for the double post*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">