• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification in Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

var611

I live in NYC state of NY. 5 yrs ago my ex moved to Alaska with my daughter. 4 yrs ago she moved to CT. I have been paying child support for the last 7 yrs, divorced for 5 1/2 yrs. She is currently seeking a modification to the court order established in NY. The checks are going to a address listed in NY although she lives in CT.(The checks are being sent to the mother's house) by the Child Support Agency. She contracted an attorney in CT for the modification. I have read the Interstate Act regarding child support but i'm still not clear if she can request the modification without first vacating the order and establishing a new one in CT. According to the courts and Child Support Agencies in NY she still resides in NY because she is getting her checks there. Her lawyer is requesting my paystub for child support modification, but before I take that step I want to ensure MYSELF that the steps being taken are in fact the correct ones by her attorney. Please let em know, any light on this subject will be appreciated.

P

paula2

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you can show that she has been residing in CT for 4 yrs, then NY will have no jurisdiction. CT would then have jurisdiction, which means you would then go through the court system in CT and the amount of support would be calculated by that state. You may want to check and see what % is used in CT verses NY before you pursue this, it is possible that CT child support guidlines may either be higher or lower than NY. If CT's guidlines are higher, which I doubt but you never know, it might be to your benefit to let it stay in NY. Again, maybe NY's guidlines are higher and that is why she is continueing to let them believe she is living there, which means you pay higher child support.

There are child support web sites that help you calculate what your support would be for each state. Just type in Child Support and it will give you a list of several sites and one of them should have this information.

Good luck

U

usdeeper

I wonder why she is using a CT attorney...

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 26, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">