• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom SSI payee for son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mel

A friend of mine has a son who was on SSI for about 8 or 9 years before he turned 19 and she was his payee. When he was 18 his Mom ran into some trouble and needed to put a phone in his name he oked it and it was done he even called and had the phone put in. His Mom had it set up so no long distance calls could be made without the use of a code that only she knew. Well, since the phone was in his name he was able to call and allowed to change the code at which time he proceeded to make calls to 900 numbers running the bill up to well over $400. Ok here is the big question his Mom does not think that she should pay the bill because she says he ran the bill up over his means and she is not responsible. Isn't she responsible because she was his payee and therefore responsible to make sure all of his bills were paid regardless?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel:
A friend of mine has a son who was on SSI for about 8 or 9 years before he turned 19 and she was his payee. When he was 18 his Mom ran into some trouble and needed to put a phone in his name he oked it and it was done he even called and had the phone put in. His Mom had it set up so no long distance calls could be made without the use of a code that only she knew. Well, since the phone was in his name he was able to call and allowed to change the code at which time he proceeded to make calls to 900 numbers running the bill up to well over $400. Ok here is the big question his Mom does not think that she should pay the bill because she says he ran the bill up over his means and she is not responsible. Isn't she responsible because she was his payee and therefore responsible to make sure all of his bills were paid regardless? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Get real. The kid (read, "idiot") is an adult. Mom was only responsible for his care and feeding - - not his horoscope, phone sex, or anything else on the phone What if he ordered a Rolls Royce? Would she be responsible for that too?

The kid is a user, a miscreant, and a jerk. I'd kick his ass out the door.

You don't like my response? Tough. I'm in a real pissy mood tonight, so don't screw with me.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

M

Mel

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BAC:
What was the kid on SSI for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
He was on SSI because he was behavior disorder and at the age of 19 he was taken off of SSI because they said he was no longer behavior disorder.
And as for you IAAL you are an ass if you are on this forum to give advice then give it but don't take your bad day out on the people of this forum who are only looking for some answers. I am sure no one is holding a gun to your head making you do this. It was not my fault nor anyone elses you had a bad day I wasn't the cause of it! I was asking you this question because my friend is being threatened by her son that he is going to take her to court to get the phone bill paid and be paid back all the other money she "stole" off of him and I was trying to help her out by getting some info! People turn to you for help and you treat them like crap! Not everyone has a law degree, but then again not everyone can be a GOD as you seem to think you are! Come down off your tower and mingle with the common folk maybe then you will have a good day. Although I am sure none of this is getting through to you because I am sure your head like your heart is hard and cold as ice. Thank you for the slap in the face, JERK!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Thanks. I needed, and deserved, that.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 30, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">