• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motion to enforce child support order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dallas

A couple of years ago, we got a lawyer to help us get back child support (Texas). We went to court and the judge found him (Dead-beat dad) in contempt of court and ordered that he pay the back amount plus interest or he would be confined to jail.

Well, neither happened, and the people at the courthouse say that we need to get a lawyer to file another Motion for Inforcement (the original one expired, or something), so that it can be signed by the judge and he can be sent to jail. My question is, is there anyway I can do this without having to hire a lawyer again? It cost me a couple thousand last time, and I'd like to avoid it this time around.

Thank you so much for your time.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Unfortunately, the process and procedures for this issue can be quite complicated. It may be expensive, but hiring an attorney for this matter is your only expedent course of conduct. You would not only need to know what pleadings to file, you'd also need to know the court rules, but also the substinantive statutory and procedural laws.

A lot of people think they can practice law. Think for a moment . . . if that were true, then why does it take up to 4 years of hard work and schooling to get your license to practice?

More and more pro-se litigants get how-to books and think they can manage. But, when they get inundated with papers from opposing counsel, or they finally get into court, pro-se litigants usually wind up on the short end of the stick. Then they finally admit to themselves, "I should have gotten an attorney for this mess."

By that time, of course, it's too late.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

U

usdeeper

You have to weigh things up... you spend a couple of thousand trying to force a man to pay child support that he has no intention of paying. Also, if he goes to jail, he will not pay it anyway.

Does he have any contact with the child ? Are you financially stable to survive without the child support ? Is this man financially stable and has good income or have any assets ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">