• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion Opposing Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

namaste11

We got a great deal on a house and have moved to PA. My ex-husband who lives in WV has petitioned the court to "enjoin me from permanantly relocating; primary physical custody [shared jointly now]and child support. My husband and I scratched all we could together for the new house [which is a major upgrade from our bad neighborhood rental] and I really cannot afford a lawyer to represent my interests. My x claims "The facts are that we are
pursuing this because we believe that we have a far more stable and consistent
home for the kids". I agree that my current situation is not exactly stable, I just moved up in the world to being a homeowner.

My question is whether or not a family lawmaster would remove the two children from their mother and the school that they are enrolled in? Should I try to scrape the money together for an attorney? I'm even considering a counter-suit for custody. Please help, I'm distraught over this.

N

namaste11

As an added thought, my relocation has added 15-20 min drive time each way for my girls' stepmother each day, every other week

U

usdeeper

Did you inform the father, in writting, at least 30 days proir to the move or did you 'just move' ? If you currently have physical custody why would you counter petition ? How often is his visitation ?

N

namaste11

We currently have joint physical custody...equal time. I verbally notified the x the day after I knew the move was definate, only about 3 days after viewing the property. It was two weeks before the beginning of school so the children were enrolled in their new school, both parties made the drive to get the kids to school. I believe this inconvenience is what initiated their suit.

The original custody order [1997] specifies that after June of 2000 that if either party moves, I shall have custody.

LegalBeagle

As per the original order, you need to get an attorney and exercise your right to you having full physical custody. Since you are moving to a better area, a nicer house and the children have been enrolled in a new school, then you have a good chance at keeping custody AND changing to full physical custody..

BUT ... BUT BUT BUT ....

You need an attorney or you may get screwed and lose the children altogether.

------------------
Psst... I do not work for Macdonald’s or Burger King, and even if I did, I would not tell you. For sloppy bread, tired tomatoes, frozen onions, watered down mayonnaise and imitation meat, please find a drive through window with a person who openly admits they make that stuff.

My advice above is equal to the advice they would give if you asked that person a legal question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">