• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of state before court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OntheMove

I am unmarried..live in Ohio, so I know I am the custodial parent right now. We have a court date in a few mths to determnine custody, visitation, & child support issues. My issue is that I am planning on moving out of state to live near family. I have 2 other children from a previous marriage and it's no problem to move out of state with them. My new baby's father 'stalked' and watched me for the last 4 mths of my pregnancy so right now my attorney told me to steer clear of him because he might try to take the baby. The court date is 2 mths away...and the baby's father filed court papers recently to acknowledge paternity and get his name on the birth certificate which is fine with me! Anyway,the baby's father and I don't have contact right now because of the harrassing issues. Can I legally move out of state before the court date, but return for the court hearing? I am moving out of state to be near family, closer to my older children's father, job offer, near a children's hospital for my older child with medical problems...etc...
I realize I'm the custodial parent since we aren't married...and I don't mind the father having visitation...but I don't want to live around here without family to help me and my kids and to have my kids grow up near cousins.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">