• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my mother spent my college fund

• Thread starter confuzzeddaughter
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confuzzeddaughter

i would like to know if i have a case....my grandfather started an account for me when i was born, the money was to go toward college, and whatever was left over was to go to a house or starting a buisness ect....every year large amounts where installed..money from stocks ect...My mother had joint custody of the acount therefore had access to use of the money...when i was 12 she decided to get heavely involved with drugs and spent my college fund on these drugs...my grandfather then regained total custody of the account..what little was left, but nowthat im an adult and need that large some of money that was taken from me..what should i do?...would i have a chance of winning if i sued for the money of mine she spent?

U

usdeeper

Does she have any money today ? What type of account was it ?

P

peter

YES if she has any property, or bank accounts, or other assets, you could sue he for missapropriating the funds during your childhood.

You see child actors sue their parents or agents all the time, when they get old enough to figure out money has dissapeared

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
YES if she has any property, or bank accounts, or other assets, you could sue he for missapropriating the funds during your childhood.
You see child actors sue their parents or agents all the time, when they get old enough to figure out money has dissapeared
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have no idea what you are talking about and can not answer this question without more information. If it was a standard savings account and there is nothing on paper to state it was for college or in anyway refered to as a trust for the child then there is nothing that can be done. She had joint access and withdrew money.

C

confuzzeddaughter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

** Thank you for your advice...my mother is about to come into some money from an inheritance from her mother passing...the account was a trust...i am not that informed about the account, how it works..my family has kept it somewhat secrative...they are hiding from me what my legal rights are to the account....So the money that use to be in it, that my mother took...it was definatly known it was for me and not for use of her own personal wants.

C

confuzzeddaughter

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

** Thank you for your advice...my mother is about to come into some money from an inheritance from her mother passing...the account was a trust...i am not that informed about the account, how it works..my family has kept it somewhat secrative...they are hiding from me what my legal rights are to the account....So the money that use to be in it, that my mother took...it was definatly known it was for me and not for use of her own personal wants.

C

confuzzeddaughter

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C

confuzzeddaughter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LegalBeagle:
You have no idea what you are talking about and can not answer this question without more information. If it was a standard savings account and there is nothing on paper to state it was for college or in anyway refered to as a trust for the child then there is nothing that can be done. She had joint access and withdrew money.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a trust account to my knowledge...It was started from birth by my grandfather....M family has put me in the dark about my legal rights to the account or any specific infromation ive asked about it..for reasons unknown to me...I know that taxes are paid on the account every year...I was told that the account was in joint custidy for the soul purpose of providing certain needs or wants of mine while growng up...it was never intended that the money be used for anythin that my mother thought that she might want...she took advantage of a open money bag in a sense..it was for me..not her...and now my family needs it....My mother is coming into money soon from an inheritance....with this information known does it look as if i might have a chance still?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">