+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    LauraTx Guest


    I would like to file a motion to modify my divorce decree, but cannot afford a lawyer. I am a single mother that is also a nursing student and money is really tight.
    I did my entire divorce myself and represented myself in court, so I think I can file the motion but dont know how to get started. I have tried asking for help at the courthouse, but all they will say is that I cant do it myself and should get an attorney. I want to put a stipulation in the divorce papers about who can be present when my children are visiting their father. He is dating a girl that is horrible to them, calls them names and they are crying every time they get home and scream and throw fits when they have to go. I know I cant keep them from seeing their father, but I cant put them through this any more. I have tried talking to their dad, but all he says is that what goes on at his house is none of my business. He is thinking with the wrong head and will never choose his childrens well being over this girl. Do I have to put up with this crap? Is there any way a desperate mother can say enough is damn enough. Any suggestions from someone that knows what they are talking about? I have looked into getting a protective or restraining order but she hasnt physically harmed them (yet) so I guess I have to wait until that happens before I can get one of those. Isnt that ridiculous? Where is the justice in this world? Please someone help, send me in the right direction to file the modification or something. Responses from lawyers are most appreciated.I live in Texas.

  2. #2
    lawrat Guest


    I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

    I think you may qualify for legal aid. Call your state bar association:
    Bexar County Bexar County Legal Aid
    Contact: Noemi Galvan Eling
    Dallas County Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
    Contact: Bonnie Marsteller
    (214)748-1234 ext. 3310
    El Paso County El Paso Bar Association Pro Bono Project
    Contact: Graciela Marinez
    Harris County Houston Volunteer Lawyers
    Contact: anybody
    Nueces County Volunteer Lawyers Project
    Contact: Sandra Garza
    (512)883-3623 ext. 125
    Tarrant County West Texas Legal Services
    Contact: Kathy Duncan Taylor
    **Annual SSI Seminar in fall, usually in October
    Travis County Volunteer Legal Services
    Contact: Cathy del Castillo

    Try this link otherwise:

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Modify a divorce decree
    By favgbgf in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 12:35 PM
  2. Modify Divorce Decree
    By Forgiven in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
  3. Motion to modify Decree of Divorce / Temporary custody
    By shelia30 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
  4. Modify divorce decree changes in finacial circumstance?
    By InEdensBliss in forum Alimony & Spousal Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 05:31 PM
  5. Modify Divorce Decree?
    By walkssoftly in forum Alimony & Spousal Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.