• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with a motion to modify my divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LauraTx

I would like to file a motion to modify my divorce decree, but cannot afford a lawyer. I am a single mother that is also a nursing student and money is really tight.
I did my entire divorce myself and represented myself in court, so I think I can file the motion but dont know how to get started. I have tried asking for help at the courthouse, but all they will say is that I cant do it myself and should get an attorney. I want to put a stipulation in the divorce papers about who can be present when my children are visiting their father. He is dating a girl that is horrible to them, calls them names and they are crying every time they get home and scream and throw fits when they have to go. I know I cant keep them from seeing their father, but I cant put them through this any more. I have tried talking to their dad, but all he says is that what goes on at his house is none of my business. He is thinking with the wrong head and will never choose his childrens well being over this girl. Do I have to put up with this crap? Is there any way a desperate mother can say enough is damn enough. Any suggestions from someone that knows what they are talking about? I have looked into getting a protective or restraining order but she hasnt physically harmed them (yet) so I guess I have to wait until that happens before I can get one of those. Isnt that ridiculous? Where is the justice in this world? Please someone help, send me in the right direction to file the modification or something. Responses from lawyers are most appreciated.I live in Texas.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I think you may qualify for legal aid. Call your state bar association:
Bexar County Bexar County Legal Aid
(210)227-0111
Dallas County Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
(214)748-1234 ext. 3310
El Paso County El Paso Bar Association Pro Bono Project
(915)544-3709
Harris County Houston Volunteer Lawyers
(713)228-0735
Nueces County Volunteer Lawyers Project
(512)883-3623 ext. 125
Tarrant County West Texas Legal Services
(817)336-3943
**Annual SSI Seminar in fall, usually in October
Travis County Volunteer Legal Services
(512)476-5550
(800)707-5550

Try this link otherwise:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fatoc.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">