• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never hear back about marriage question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

persistence

Dear IAAL:

Does a marriage change child support? Is it reason to go after modification?

Persistence

S

Snoopy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by persistence:
Does a marriage change child support? Is it reason to go after modification?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No.

Been fun, good night all.

------------------
This is not legal advice, so do not take it as such.

B

Been there

In some instances it does. My ex's wife is now working and he is working a second job also. I asked for a modification and got it, I pay less than I used to. Which really hasn't changed because I still give the extra money for other stuuf specifically for my child, lik ebooks, and other stuff she needs/wants, because he won't get it for her. The bad thing about this is that he is Very angry at me for asking for the modification, and I can't see my child whenever I want as we agreed (verbally) in the past.

So, before you do ask for any kind of modification, be sure you have all your agreements in writing (and signed by Judge/ mediator) then ask for the modification.

Another down side to this is if your ex doesn't have other children, then she may not claim her new hubbies income as combined. If she does have another child she may have to claim her husband's income because they have a child in common and show how & where the money is used in child care, etc.. Also, your child support may go up because they Do have to support the other child as well as your child. My ex has three other children to support besides mine, and "normally" I would only need to pay 150.00 but since he has so many children to support, and at the time his new wife didn't work, my amount went up (it was almost double, but i recently asked for the modification). Of course, he planned on having her stay home because he knew he could get more money out of me (out of spite) if she didn't work.

I hope I helped in some way, think if it is worth all the hassle before you do ask for a modification, then do what you think is right. I'm not saying that what worked for me will work for you, but you never know til you try.

Been there

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">