• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

obtaining custody of 14 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

southernmama

My husband has a 14 year old son who wishes to come live with us. His ex-wife has custody. My question is- can we file for a custody hearing without obtaining a lawyer and if so, how do we go about this. I was under the impression that a child of that age could choose which parent he wishes to live with.

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by southernmama:
My husband has a 14 year old son who wishes to come live with us. His ex-wife has custody. My question is- can we file for a custody hearing without obtaining a lawyer and if so, how do we go about this. I was under the impression that a child of that age could choose which parent he wishes to live with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can be asked by a judge.. but if you know nothing about custody, then you really should seriously think about getting an attorney.. if the change in custody is uncontested they it should not cost much at all to have an attorney draw up the papers for an agreed order.

If the mother is going to contest it, then you have no choice and will need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">