• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

options??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dwall

I have posted about this before, but things are becoming worse. My daughter is 9 and her dad and I were together (not married) on and off until she was 4. He was abusive and spent a lot of time in jail for hurting me. I married another man a year after we split up. My ex refuses to sign my daughter's birth certificate. There has never been any court custody, visitation or support ordered.

He sees her off and on when he isn't incarcerated, but even when he is out, he will see her once, then not again for months and so on. On the rare occasion when I get tired of his game playing with my daughter's feelings, I tell him he can't see her and to "take me to court." I always cave because she does know him as her dad, and does like to go see him sometimes. My husband is her "daddy" for almost 5 years now and would love to adopt her. My ex even lost the name change case for my daughter because the judge was appalled at how he admittedly blew in and out of our daughter's life. At the time we went to court for that last year, he hadn't seen "Amy" in almost 2 years.

Problem: I have been trying to work out visition with the ex because he wanted to "straighten up." Fine. Well, many months ago I filed with child support enforcement to finally get a child support order. He avoided the service for the court date. He called me today (he had offered to buy our daughter sneekers and a back pack for school)to tell me they are trying to serve him a subpoena again. He is LIVID! He told me he would never pay support, even if court ordered, and would never give me a dime to help raise Amy. (Like he ever has!!) He thinks because Amy's last name was changed, he is no longer resp. for support. I told him if he doesn't want to pay support, relinquish his rights to my husband. I will still let him see her if/when Amy wants because she does know him as "real" dad.

He refuses to do this. He said he can "string" me along as much as he wants to, and never pay, never see Amy, but if he is ever taken to court for adoption, he will not allow it. He will not ever sign her bc. Can he really have his cake and eat it too? Could I win an adoption suit against an unwilling dad, given his track record with the police and with his daughter? Any advice will be appreciated. If there is the slightest chance of winning an adoption suit against him, I will get an attorney immediately. I just don't want to waste a bunch of money if it is a lost cause.

U

usdeeper

Yes there is a chance you could force adoption.. but.. it is a difficult process and at the last moment, the whole thing could fail.

The thing is, what will it achieve ?.. with his record he can not do anything anyway... he currently only has rights that you give him, and you have already stated that even when adopted, you will allow him access...

Difficult decision.. since your daughter is aware of him and seems to like the occasional visit..

D

dwall

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I am in FL. As you can tell,I have quite mixed feelings about this. My prefrence would be that bio dad and his game playing be done and my husband who is daddy adopt my daughter. I would love for her to have a father listed on her birth certificate, something she is too little to need to know about, and my ex won't sign. He told me he won't pay support, court order or no, and will see her when he feels like it and there is nothing I can do about it. What kind of deal is that for a child? Sometimes I think it would be easier for her to know he isn't coming around anymore than to sit around wondering when he is coming. She is a happy, funny, child...she doesn't sit around brooding about missing my ex. It probably bothers me a whole lot more than it does her :) Right now, I have all the "say" since there is no court order in place for custody/visitation. But he could come along at any time in the future and start throwing his weight around and take me to court. When someone shows such obvious disregard for their child, how long can he have the best of both worlds (is dad, but doesn't act like it) until a judge will think it is enough? I have made an appointment with an attorney for next week to discuss adoption...he seems to think we might have some leverage to get him to ok the adoption by asking for current support, back support, insurance, and maybe even to get him to lose his rights by default by asking the judge to give him some sort of deadline to sign the birth certificate (that was just something he threw out there as a "possible" depending on the judge.)

My husband and I just went through a situation with his ex and finally he got sole custody of his son who his ex basically ignores also.

I want what is best, and I have no idea what that is right now...the kids are adored here and we have a happy home, it would be nice not to have the ex's flying in and out of the kids' lives at their convenience with no regard to the children's feelings. (I only recently filed for support/my husband won't ask for it because the ex hardly can support herself and it would hurt her more than help us...we aren't selfish or out to get them.) Adoption/leave it alone and wait for him to sue me...any advice?

U

usdeeper

Having your ex fly in and out of the childs life is your decision.. not his. If you do not want this, then stop him. It is highly unlikely he will go to court to force things..

Also, if a court orders child support and back CS and he still does not pay, then he risks jail.

Good that you are seeing an attorney.. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">