• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of country travel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DMagic

Unexpectedly, I gained custody of my two nieces, before this, I had made arrangement to travel abroad on vacation.
Can I take them with me without getting in trouble?.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMagic:
Unexpectedly, I gained custody of my two nieces, before this, I had made arrangement to travel abroad on vacation.
Can I take them with me without getting in trouble?.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What's the rest of the story? What do your "Guardianship" or "Custody" Court Orders say? What has your attorney said?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

DMagic

We did not go to court, the father signed a letter and gave it Social Services, giving me custody of the girls.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You'll never get out of the country with the girls, without proper court papers showing that they are allowed to be with you. You won't be able to get passports or visas.

That letter is only good in the town where you live. It has no validity with Federal or International law.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

DMagic

Thanks for your response, it seems that I've got a lot to learn.
Wich steps would I need to take to have bonafide custody, i.e. making this letter legal.
Obviously this trip is cancelled, but in the future I would like to take them with me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMagic:
Thanks for your response, it seems that I've got a lot to learn.
Wich steps would I need to take to have bonafide custody, i.e. making this letter legal.
Obviously this trip is cancelled, but in the future I would like to take them with me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

First, I think it's wonderful that you care enough to take in two children to care for, as your own. That's a wonderful and generous act of selflessness that should be commended.

You and the parent will need to see an attorney to both sign papers for Guardianship rights. Those papers will be filed with the court. A hearing will be scheduled before a judge on the matter. I can't imagine a judge not signing Guardianship orders to one as generous, such as yourself, as you appear to be.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">