• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overnight Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sulebu

State:WV
My grandaughter is 4 months old. She lives with my daughter at our home while she finishes her last semester of college. The babies father ( not married) would like overnight visitation. My daughter is still nursing the baby. Even though, they lived together 2 months after the baby was born, he left the majority of the care of the baby up to my daughter, therefore he did not learn much about what kind of care she needs.
Recently they split up due to his drinking, gambling and his indifference to the baby. He has a DUI on record. I should state that he lives in PA, but resided in WV when the baby was born. Now that they have moved back in wants the baby on the weekends overnight. The father has nothing at his house for a baby, not even a crib. He also has a 120 lb. rottweiler that can be mean. They both signed a paternity affidavit, but she is not asking for support.
In the month since they left PA he has only see the baby for a total of 5 hours, never changed, bathed and certainly has not fed her. When my daughter lived there, he never heard the baby cry even if he was asleep in the same room as her. He only lives 2 hours away. My question is... at what age can he get overnight visits? He would like to settle this without involving the courts. We contacted a lawyer and family friend who put us in touch with an attorney who specializes in custody cases. Should we put him on retainer? Does the father have to agree to my daughter having legal custody?

U

usdeeper

Get an attorney, file for custody. Do not allow overnight visitation until you believe he is capable of looking after the child.

Sorry for the short reply.. but there really is nothing more to say.. He is not going to get custody and also unlikely to get overnight visitation.

Document EVERYTHING..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">