• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parents are battling over college $ and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confusedchild

my parents have been divorced since i was seven. i am now almost 18 and going to college. they are now back in court fighting over child support and college bills. my dad is wealthy and retired and my mom is a middle school teacher. my mom thinks that my dad should have to pay for college, and that his child support payments should be based on an imputed imcome since he retired voluntarily. he thinks that he should have to pay child support only on his pention and not on his 1/2 mill in assets; he also believes that my mother should pay for half of my college. i said that i would pay for my college to end one battle, but the child support is becoming a huge issue. my dad wants me to declare myself emancipated when i am 18 so he won't have to pay child support to my mom (he says he would give me the $) but, i don't see how i could do that - i do not intend to move out of my mother's house or become financially independant. I just don't know what to do. my dad tells me this battle is all my fault and says that my future inheritance and what not will greatly suffer if i don't declare myself independant. HELP!!!! the stress is killing me and it's not fair that i have to choose sides between two people i love.

U

usdeeper

How awful ... for your dad to threaten you like this.. I know what my response would be.. but then I am not 18 so probably not appropriate...

What the CS is based on I do not know.. some one else will have to jump in here.. except that when someone purposesly quits a job, the CS can be worked out on the amount they were earning. If this still holds true for retiring early I do not know.

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 20, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">