• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents divorcing after 27 years.. ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HaveAquestion

My parents after 27 years of marriage and 5 children later are divorcing, my mom is leaving for another man. I have so many small questions I don't know where to begin. I guess the main question is.. "Can my mom just leave the house to my father without paying a penny towards the rest?" I feel like she is going to leave him with all the debt, what legally in the state of Tennessee can be done?

Thanks for much for your time!!!!!

[email protected]

Jenifa

My aunt left her husband after 30 years of marriage. This is in NY. She left the home and the mortgage to him (her name came off the deed and when he sold she got nothing). She was responsible for 1/2 of their joint debts. She left for a different reason; her ex-husband was abusive. I don't know if this helped. I hope so.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HaveAquestion:
My parents after 27 years of marriage and 5 children later are divorcing, my mom is leaving for another man. I have so many small questions I don't know where to begin. I guess the main question is.. "Can my mom just leave the house to my father without paying a penny towards the rest?" I feel like she is going to leave him with all the debt, what legally in the state of Tennessee can be done?

Thanks for much for your time!!!!!

[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She can more or less do anything she wants up until something is filed. I suggest he cancels all joint accounts and also changes the locks to the house. Then file legal seperation papers immediately so that she then becomes liable from that point onwards.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. Which technically could mean I am an attorney, but I would not tell you either way. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">