• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying for childcare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am divorced and the non-custodial parent to my children,my child support decree has an amount on it for child care cost.Now my ex tells me I have to pay for child-care while the children are in my custody...one day per week,4 weeks during the summer.The daycare facility used is local to both my ex and I my question is since I already pay my support with the total cost of daycare figured into the formula am I still liable for the cost when the children are with me?I also need to add that the daycare cost is every week whether the children are there or not.To me it really feels like I am paying twice for the same service.I also realize that if the daycare were not local to both parties I would have to pay for childcare local to myself but that is not the case here.

U

usdeeper

Generally this is correct.. since if you stopped paying for daycare you would lose the slot and end up with no daycare when you return the child to the mother. Depending on how popular and good the daycare is then losing that slot can be very bad for the child and not in its best interest.

However, some daycare places allow for 2 weeks vacation a year when the child can be removed with no cost and the slot guarenteed. Look into this...

MySonsMom

I think she is still going to use the daycare facility when she has her "visitation" with the children..From what I gathered she was wondering about who pays for it..It sounds as tho she pays her half of daycare to the father since the kids live with the father and pays for the daycare..with her child support he is reimbursed I am assuming for half..When she has the kids she still pays child support plus she has to pay for daycare..She is wondering if she can be reimbursed for HIS half of the daycare..That is what I thought she was asking..But please correct us if we are wrong original poster..

MySonsMom

And I have no idea why I thought this was a woman poster..fogive me if I was wrong. :)

------------------
~MySonsMom~

P

paula2

I believe the non-custodial parent is saying that along with child support an additional amount is added in on top of that for child care. They both use the same care center regardless of who has the children and the custodial parent is saying that the weeks the kids are with the non-custodial parent that they are to pay for the child care even though it is added into the child support they already recieve. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct PAULA2.As I stated before I realize I would have to pay for daycare if the one used were not local to both parties.My problem is I feel I am already paying a majority portion of the childcare(approx 70%)and yet I still have to pay when the children are in my care along with my usual amount of child support.Sure seems like paying two different parties for the same two week service...my ex and the daycare.

P

paula2

I'm not sure, but I believe since the child care is included as an additional amount on top of the child support, then she is recieving this additional amount every week, wether the kids are in day care or not, then no you should not have to pay twice, because you have already paid her for the week you have the kids, and they are using the same day care service she uses. So they are at the same day care wether you have them or she does, therefore they do not lose their spot there.

P

paula2

Another thing, you might want to contact your lawyer and make sure I'm right and if she insist on you paying, have your lawyer send her a letter explaining she has already recieved payment for day care and the bill is her responsibility.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">