• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PENDING COURT ACTION FOR NON PAYMENT OF SUPPORT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SELLTHEBUS

I HAVE BEEN UNEMPLOYED FOR ALMOST A YEAR, AND HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO PAY MY SUPPORT AS ORDERED BY THE COURT WHICH RESULTED IN AN ARREARAGE OF ALMOST $3000.00. I PAID MY CHILD SUPPORT REGULARLY UP UNTILL I RESIGNED UNDER DURESS FROM MY PREVIOUS EMPLOYER, I WAS RECENTLEY SERVED BY THE ILLINOIS DEPT OF PUBLIC AID (ON BEHALF OF MY EX-WIFE) WITH A PETITION FOR ADJUDICATION OF INDIRECT CIVIL CONTEMPT. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO ME UNDER THIS ORDER? I HAD A VERY GOOD JOB INTERVIEW YESTERDAY AND IT APPEARS I MAY GET THE JOB WHICH WILL ENABLE ME TO CONTINUE TO PAY MY SUPPORT. I HAVE SENT OUT 292 RESUMES AND HAVE HAD 7 INTERVIEWS THIS PAST YEAR, I CONTINUOSLY AND EARNESTLY LOOKED FOR EMPLOYMENT IN MY FIELD (SALES). ANY AND ALL ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKYOU

U

usdeeper

Below is part of the IL code.. Basically they are upset cos you did not pay your support. I 'think' that what you have is for a hearing to see if there is cause to show you in contempt of court... almost like a hearing to see if they need another hearing. IF you can show good cause why you have not paid at this point, it may be dismissed.

I believe what you should have done was petition the court a year ago for emergency reduction due to unemployment. However, because it was you who quit and you were not fired, that might have not been approved.

Your options.. either get an attorney. Or, if there is no way you can afford legal defense, make sure you take all the proof of your job search to the hearing. Proof of interviews.. if you have any, proof of why you were forced to resign in the first place.

Also.. and this could be very important.. explain the plan you have to pay the arrears once you do find a job, show that you are very willing to do so and make every effort to pay. DO NOT go with an attitude of 'I was not working so how do you expect me to pay'!

Good luck...

) Indirect civil contempt defined. Indirect civil contempt is a continuation of the underlying cause of action out of which the contempt arose, where the elements of the contempt are not within the personal knowledge of the judge; and

(i) the act consists of the failure to obey a court order or judgment; and

(ii) coercive, rather than punitive, sanctions are sought to compel compliance with the order or judgment.

(1) Petition for Adjudication of Indirect Civil Contempt. An indirect civil contempt proceeding shall be commenced by the filing of a Petition for Adjudication of Indirect Civil Contempt. The petition shall be verified and shall set forth with specificity the portion of the court order or judgment alleged to have been violated, together with the date or dates, and nature of the violation. If the court finds that the petition provides sufficient facts to show prima facie evidence of civil contempt it may, at its discretion, enter a rule to show cause on the respondent or, instead, not enter a rule and set the petition itself for hearing. In any event, the court shall set the matter for hearing and order that respondent be given notice of the time, date and place of hearing.

(2) Notice. Notice of the hearing and copy of the petition shall be served by regular U.S. Mail, postage prepaid, to respondent's last known address or in any manner as provided in Supreme Court Rule 105(b)(1) or (2) as the court may direct. Notice by personal service shall be served not less than seven (7) days prior to hearing, and notice by U.S. Mail shall be mailed not less than fourteen (14) days prior to hearing. The notice shall contain therein that should respondent fail to appear, a body attachment may issue.

If the respondent fails to appear after due notice or if the court has reason to believe the respondent will not appear in response to notice, the court may direct that a body attachment or warrant of arrest be issued against respondent and in such event, the court shall set bond which shall be noted on the body attachment or warrant of arrest.

(3) Response to the petition. The respondent may submit an oral or a written response denying with specificity any of the allegations of the petition together with affirmative defenses. Those allegations of the petition not specifically denied are deemed admitted. If the basis of the petition is the failure of the respondent to make court ordered payments to the clerk of the court, the records of the clerk shall be prima facie evidence of the amount received by the clerk.

(4) Substitution of judge. A respondent may file a petition for substitution of judge pursuant to Section 2-1001 of the Code of Civil Procedure if such petition is filed prior to the judge making a substantive ruling in the underlying action or on the petition for adjudication of indirect civil contempt, and is not filed to avoid or delay hearing on the petition.

(5) Respondent's due process rights. The respondent has a right to notice, to be provided with a copy of the petition, to answer orally or in writing, to be heard and to present evidence, to cross-examine witnesses, to call witnesses, and to have an attorney of choice.

(6) Conduct of the hearing. Civil contempt proceedings shall be heard before the court without jury. The petitioner may call the respondent as an adverse witness pursuant to Section 2-1102 of the Code of Civil Procedure. Upon petitioner's showing prima facie evidence of the respondent's failure to comply with a court order, the burden of production shifts to the respondent who must prove any affirmative defenses, including lack of means to comply with the court's order, by a preponderance of the evidence.

(7) Finding of contempt/sanctions. If the court finds the respondent in civil contempt, it shall impose sanctions instanter or at a later date. Prior to imposition of sanctions, the contemnor shall have a right to make a statement in mitigation. Sanctions may include a continuing fine and/or incarceration or other reasonable sanction the court deems appropriate and such sanctions shall remain in full force and effect until the contemnor purges himself of contempt or is otherwise discharged by due process of law. The court may assess reasonable attorney's fees against the contemnor.

(8) Written order required. Upon an adjudication of civil contempt, a written order shall be signed by the judge specifying the contemptuous conduct, the sanctions imposed and the means by which the contemnor may purge himself of contempt. A copy of the order shall be given to the contemnor.

(9) Appeal. An appeal from a judgment of civil contempt may be taken as in any civil case. Upon the filing of a notice of appeal, the court may fix bond and stay the sanctions pending the disposition of the appeal.

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 28, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 28, 2000).]

S

SELLTHEBUS

THANKS USDEEPER, IT WAS ALWAYS MY INTENTION TO PAY THE SUPPORT MY SON NEEDS AND DESERVES, I AM NOT A DEAD BEAT DAD NOR DO I HAVE ANY SYMPATHY FOR THOSE THAT CAN PAY BUT CHOOSE NOT TO, I APPRECIATE THE ADVICE AND RESEARCH YOU HAVE SUPPLIED ME, I JUST HOPE I DONT GET PUT IN JAIL NOW THAT MY LIFE IS TURNING AROUND AND I AM ABLE TO PAY MY SONS SUPPORT. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

U

usdeeper

If you can not afford an attorney, then it maybe tough.. sometimes it is all about attitude. Go in with a positive attitude and show all your proof of attempts at getting a job and with a plan to pay current and back support and you should be ok..

Good luck... and yes, please let us know what happens..

S

SELLTHEBUS

NO I CANT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY, I WAS GOING TO SEE IF ILLINOIS HAD SOME SORT OF LEGAL AID TO HELP REPRESENT ME IN COURT, BUT I THOUGHT IT MIGHT LOOK LIKE I WAS TRYING TO GET OUT OF MY RESPONSIBILITY, DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DO ANY GOOD TO CONTACT THE ATTORNEY FOR I.D.P.A TO WORK OUT A SETTLEMENT AND AVOID COURT ALL TOGETHER , OR IS THAT SOMTHING THAT IS JUST NOT DONE?

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SELLTHEBUS:
DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DO ANY GOOD TO CONTACT THE ATTORNEY FOR I.D.P.A TO WORK OUT A SETTLEMENT AND AVOID COURT ALL TOGETHER , OR IS THAT SOMTHING THAT IS JUST NOT DONE?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, anything is worth a try. You have nothing to lose at this point. Have you discussed this with your ex ??.. sounds like she is the one who is driving this.

S

SELLTHEBUS

IT WAS KIND OF A SUPRISE TO ME TO BE HONEST WITH YOU, I HAD JUST TALKED WITH HER AND THANKED HER FOR HER UNDERSTANDING OF MY SITUATION. WE HAVE HAD OUR BATTLES IN THE PAST, SOME OF THEM VICIOUS (NOT PHYSICAL)BUT WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO PUT ASIDE OUR DIFFERENCES WHEN IT COMES TO MATTERS OF OUR SON. I AM GOING TO CALL HER IMEDIATLY TO SEE IF WE CAN TALK ABOUT THIS, AND THEN CALL THE I.D.P.A TO SEE IF WE CAN COME TOGETHER ON AN APPROVED PLAN OF REPAYMENT AND AVOID LITIGATION. THANKS YOU ARE A VERY GOOD SOUNDING BOARD, SOMETIMES THATS ALL IT TAKES IS TO HAVE SOMEONE ELSE POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION

F

FED UP

I MAY BE OUT OF LINE HERE, BUT THIS SOUNDS LIKE A CROCK OF ---- TO ME! AS AN ILLINOIS RESIDENT , I KNOW THAT SALES JOBS ARE A DIME A DOZEN IN ALMOST EVERY PART OF THE STATE.ALSO,HOW DID YOU SUPPORT YOURSELF FOR A YEAR? I THINK THAT YOUR EX HAS BEEN MORE THAN UNDERSTANDING GIVING YOU THIS LONG.YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO SUPPORT YOUR KIDS,EVEN IF IT MEANS TAKING A LESSER PAYING LESS PRESTIEGOUS JOB. IF YOU REALLY HAD THE INTENTION OF SUPPORTING YOUR CHILD,YOU WOULD NOT BE IN THE POSITION YOU ARE IN NOW. IF YOU READ BETWEEN THE LINES, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ONLY CARE NOW, BECAUSE YOUR'E FACING JAIL.NO MACDONALDS IN YOUR TOWN?

S

SELLTHEBUS

DEAR FEDUP,

THANKYOU FOR THE KIND WORDS OF ADVICE, AND YES YOU ARE WAY OUT OF LINE. FIRST OF ALL McDONALDS WOULDNT HIRE ME I TRIED, THEY HAVE A NEPOTISM CLAUSE (MY SON IS A MGR FOR THE CORP., SECOND THERE ARE AS YOU SAY A LOT OF SALES JOBS IN IL AND I APPLIED AT 292 OF THEM WITH ONLY SEVEN INTERVIEWS, MOST OF THE JOBS WERE IN AND AROUND CHICAGO AND PAID CLOSE TO MINIMUM WAGE, RELOCATION COST WOULD NEGATE ANY BENEFIT RECEIVED, OF THE SEVEN INTERVIEWS I DID GET, NO ONE WOULD GIVE ME A SECOND LOOK, NOT TO MANY COMPANIES ARE LOOKING FOR A 46 YEAR OLD SALESMAN WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING HIS FORMER MANAGER FIRED AND WHOS FACE WAS PLASTERED ALL OVER THE NEWS AND PAPER FOR ALMOST A YEAR! YOU ASK HOW I LIVED FOR A YEAR? MOSTLY WITHOUT, MY WIFE HAS A GOOD JOB THANK GOD BUT EVEN WITH THAT WE WERE JUST ABLE TO PAY THE BILLS. MY EX WIFE IS A VERY UNDERSTANDING PERSON MR/MRS FED UP, SHE IS ALSO A GOOD MOTHER TO OUR SON, AND HAS A VERY GOOD JOB! I HAVE WORKED SINCE I WAS IN THE EIGHTH GRADE SIR/MAAM, AND HAVE DONE EVERYTHING FROM WASH DISHES TO SELL ADVERTISING SO PLEASE DONT COMMENT ON MY WORK ETHIC, FINALY I THINK IT'S GREAT THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY AND GIVE ME YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE, BUT DO THE NEXT PERSON A FAVOR.....TRY GIVING CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM INSTEAD OF SARCASM.

G

getalife

Has anyone noticed that anytime a MAN posts a question/problem on here, that there is always sarcasm and people are just downright nasty???? I gave my opinion to another post (from a woman) and because I disagreed with a woman, I was told off by several people.
At least the original poster here is only in arrears for ONE YEAR!! I think that says something about him. I have read posts on here from people who are owed over 5 years of child support. Now those are the deadbeats. So cut the guy a little slack, FED UP!

W

whoswho

DEAR SELLTHE BUS,
THIS IS FROM FED UP.(I CANT LOG ON UNDER MY USUAL SCREEN NAME FOR SOME REASON)IF I WAS TOO HARSH I APPOLOGIZE.YES I AM A WOMAN SITTING ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SITUATION,SICK OF LISTENING TO EXCUSES FROM MY EX.I APEARANTLY LET MY FEELINGS ABOUT MY SITUATION AFFECT MY JUDGEMENT CONCERNING YOURS.AFTER READING YOUR SECOND POST,THE FACT THAT YOU ARE TRYING IS CLEAR. AGAIN I APPOLOGIZE.AS FOR YOUR FEAR OF BEING FOUND IN CONTEMPT, I WOULD NOT WORRY TOO MUCH. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS YOUR FIRST APPEARANCE.IT TOOK MY EX 5 COURT APPEARANCES TO BE FOUND IN CONTEMPT, AND THAT ONLY HAPPENED AFTER THE STATES ATTORNEYS OFFICE FOUND OUT HE HAD LIED ABOUT HIS EMPLOYMENT STATUS AT THOSE HEARINGS.IVE ALSO NOTICED FROM WATCHING THE CASES BEFORE MINE THAT THE JUDGES GIVE SECOND CHANCES. THE ONES IN MY COUNTY SET A COURT DATE FOR 30 DAYS FOLLOWING THE FIRST ONE.DURRING THIS TIME YOU DOCUMENT 3 EMPLOYMENT CONTACTS A DAY,AND AT THE END OF THAT TIME PERIOD,IF YOU HAVE NOT FILLED THIS OBLIGATION,YOU ARE THEN FOUND IN CONTEMPT.GOOD LUCK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">