• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME I AM OVERREACTING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stephlong

I am a 22 year old mother, who has custody of my one year old son. I work full time, and my son is watched by my ex boyfriends parents while I go to work. My ex boyfriend, keeps threatening me to take my son away, on the grounds that his parents, could provide a more financial and family type oriented environenment, for my son. I work so hard to give my son everything that I can. He is always clean, well dressed, never hungry, and lives in a clean home, I also try to stimulate him as much as possible, I dont use drugs or alcohol, I dont let any men pop in and out of my sons life. What are some of the grounds that the state of utah may look at in child custody hearings, I love my son more than anything in the world, my babys father knows that he would never stand a chance at getting custody at this point, because he has no job, lives at home, has a criminal drug record, is on multiple medications for mental illness, and is a active marijuana user, but since his parents are so active in my sons life(which I am gratiful for, they love him very much)do they have any rights to take my son from me. I may be just freaking out, but its such a scarey thought. The grounds for which my ex feels as though I should not have custody are: My little boy constantly has bumps on his forehead(only his forehead) from my coffee table and end tables. He feels as though I am not paying attention to him, and therefore he has more bumps than necessary. Also, I go out maybe once or twice a month, to a dance club, and one time was put in a situation where people whom I was with were using GHB( a new street drug), even though I didnt take any, and my son was sleeping over with his grandparents, he feels as though I am being irresponsible. Please give me some advice as to what I should do, should I contact a lawyer, should I get an at home job so that I am not as dependent on my ex's parents to helping take care of my son while I am at work. I just want all the bases covered. I would never deny my ex or his parents the right to visit my child I know they love him. But I am tired of being scared. When, my son was 6 months old, I started having a hard time paying for rent, and everything on my own, so I told my babies father I wanted to move to Idaho(where my parents live) so I could get on my feet and go to school, and in that same day, My babies grandparents, and aunt, called me at least 20 times on my caller ID. When I finally got home and talked to my ex's sister, she was basically like "how can you take him to complete strangers", refering to my family. Theyre real controlling, financially stable, and I dont trust them. Please give me some good legal advice, something that will ease my mind. Its hard enough being a parent for the first time, all on your own, without being threatened to have the one most amazing thing in your life taken away.

S

stephlong

No I do not. Should I get one. Even though
I already have physical custody of the child?

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stephlong:
No I do not. Should I get one. Even though
I already have physical custody of the child?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the father is threatening to take the child then YES, you need one and you need one quick. Without one, he can take the child and not return them and there will be few things you can do.

S

stephlong

Thanks for the advice! Do you know of the steps I should take, do I need to get a lawyer to have a court order for custody, or can I file on my own! Or is it basically going to be a custody hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">