• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power Of Attorney given to his parents!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brigit

My son's father has had custody of our son for about three years now. I am in the process of getting my son back (going to court, etc.). New things have developed--when my son's father left him in NJ and went to NC for some sort of schooling, that upset enough that he wouldn't leave him with me. Now it turns out that he also gave his parents power of attorney without telling me...was that legal? Unless a court order says otherwise, aren't I supposed to have some say in my son's (major) medical and educational decisions according to FERPA? Help!!

LegalBeagle

Don't worry about it.. continue with your custody change and add it to the list of things to use against him. Some times placing a child with someone else is not wrong in itself and a parent with physical custody can do that... but, some courts will also see that in this case, it would have been better for the child to be with the other bio parent. I am sure you have other things on your list, just add this to it.

------------------
Psst.. I am not an attorney, and even if I was, I would not tell you. Which technically could mean I am an attorney, but I would not tell you either way. What I am giving you is not legal advice in anyway. For proper legal advice, retain a person who openly admits they are an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">