• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protection from husband's spending HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ermarutter

If my husband won't get a job with a paycheck, and runs up bills that we can't pay; is there ANY WAY TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM HIS DEBTS? We already filed bankruptcy 6 months ago. Is divorce the only solution? I'm in OHIO. SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ME!!!

D

Dawn Marie

I don't know if this will help you,but I will tell you my story.Me and my husband had a bank account together and when I asked him to he overdrew on the account with the bank card.($400.00).Because I was the one who opened the account for us I was considered the primary holder.This was about 3 years ago and till this day I can not open a bank account anywhere until I pay $400.00 plus three years of interest.He has a bank account.I have no idea how or why the bank would just pinpoint me only since we were married.My advise to you is try your best to get your name off of every bill except the lease of course and do it as soon as possible.And if your really smart you will start divorce proceedings.Maybe that will scare him into changing,maybe not.But I am sure that you cant handle taking care of your kids and him.Lighten the load.It's to heavy if you know what I mean.Good Luck!!!!

E

ermarutter

thank you dawn marie for your reply. I thought noone was listening! The last thing I want is a divorce and I have told him this. All I want is for him to get a job, get some health insurance, get a life insurance policy, and stop living beyond his means. This must seem terribly overwhelming for him because he just won't do it. I have been asking the same things for nearly 4 years. I thought after the bankruptcy things would change, after getting out from under the bone-crushing debt that he would see he didn't have to find a job that paid big bucks, just some ordinary middle income job. He just refuses to do it. It's like he thinks I'm expecting way too much and being totally unreasonable. How am I the bad guy in this? Seeing an attorney is the last thing I want to do, but living this way is really making me lose respect for the man I thought would always take care of his family. Thanks again for your reply!

T

terdad

Talk to an attorney..I think you can post a notice in your local news paper...Not responible for any debits but my own ..type thing..I dont know what else you have to do to make it legal..i'm sure there is a way to devorce yourself from him financially only..Some people keep thier maden name for those purposes..( I think)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">