• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relative living with us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bsteele70

My husband's grandmother currently lives with us. She is 79 yrs old and needs daily care. She can walk and feed herself but that is about all. She also has a vision problem.

She is a very difficult person to live with. She is hostile and verbally abusive. She has threathened to blow the house up and she has already caused a fire in the kitchen.

She says that she does not want us to live with her. However, she will not leave our house. We brought her house from her and remodeled it. She lives with us rent free. She refuses to go to a nursing home. However, her care needs are increasing daily.

How can we get her out of our house legally?

J

jamiet

maybe if you can prove to like a case worker or someone, that she cant live alone and is endangering herself they could get her a place to live with home help like a nurse who stoppes in and helps or maybe a nursing home is in need. i dunno, i would call a nursing home or assistance agency and ask what you can do.

usmcfamily

A tricky situation....and one I am not sure how to answer. You state you bought the home (if I am reading your post right), so technically you are under no LEGAL obligation to allow her to live there....MORAL is another question -- sadly, as we get older we tend to change, and in this lady's case it sounds very typical -- she is ANGRY....at her own loss of ability mostly but she can only take it out on you guys....you have a choice to make -- is it worth it to you to take the abuse and try to make the years she has left as pleasant as possible and allow her to be able to spend them in the only "home" she knows or is it truly to a point you can not take it and you need to have her be out of the home. I know you have sighted specific things here but I can't judge for you if you are willing to try to get around them - that is your call. If you are NOT able to deal with it you will need to look into a couple of options....from what you have said it is hard to judge her competency but you will need to do that -- if you can prove she is mentally incompetent you could go to court to be appointed her legal guardian (gaining power of attorney) and then sign her into a home yourself or even less pleasant you can look into the best way to have her removed from your home as a legal owner who no longer wishes to have her there - I prefer you go through the court as at least then you would be able to see she receive care at a home as if you simply have her removed with no guardianship/power of attorney in place she is still responsible to make her own decisions and as you stated will NOT take herself to a home....you need to see she is taken care of.
I know these things are hard, but as someone who cared for my own father troughout his terminal illness (and yes, throught the ugly ANGRY end when he was NOT a pleasant person and certainly NOT able to appreciate the things we did) if you are able to stick with this it will be something you look back on in a good light. Have you contacted social services/Eldery Action/etc in your area for assistance - they may well be able to help you gain tools to allow you all to continue to live together in a much more pleasant way!

A

Always searching

I came home for lunch and upon reading your post, forgive me, but I laughed. There is a lesson that I learned many years ago that I would pass on to you. Every hen has her own roost. She had hers in the house that you are living in and now you have yours. She still feels that the house belongs to her and it is her house in her mind. You are the intruder. I know, I know, you bought the house from her but her roost is still that house. The wear on the banister, the squeak in the kitchen floor, the sound the cabinets make when you open them. It is difficult and almost impossible for two women to live in the same house and occupy the same home, the same kitchen, the same yard. It is an unspoken rule. It is the roost theory.

If it is your husband’s grandmother and she is 79, I can only surmise that you are around 25. That is the time in one’s life that you are establishing who you are and what you want and how you want it. I can only hope that you will be the person to bend. It is difficult for you to understand how she is feeling because you just see her as an angry, bitter woman. Sure she is angry; you are in her house. One of the biggest things that you can do is to be kind. Not just mouthing the words, but honestly from your heart, kind. I understand what you are going through because my mother is living with me (she is 85). Although many times I would love to have the kitchen to myself, she is the reason I am the person I am today and I try to always be kind and polite even if she is mean and angry.

Look in your phone book and there should be some place that oldsters can go even if it is for a few hours during the day. Go there without her. If it is a nice place to be, then talk to the director and ask the director to call and invite her to visit. The problem is that most oldsters feel that they are unwanted and don’t want to intrude upon anyone. That is the purpose of the invitation. She needs to feel wanted. I also found a wonderful place that keeps her two days a week. I re-arrange my schedule and take her there and pick her up. She gets to visit different people and has a great time. My mother’s mind is clear, it is only her body that is failing and yes, she was just as angry and just as bitter as it sounds like your husband’s grandmother is. I absolutely killed her with kindness. She is so healthy and happy now and I know in my heart that I did the best for her.

About the cooking…I took all cooking privileges away from her except toast. I make it my duty to make sure she has three meals a day and some snacks. If my job takes me away from the house for a few days, I call Meals on Wheels and they take over where I can’t.

It is almost impossible for a determination legally of incompetence unless there is inherent immediate harm to her or others. I know you hate hearing this. My sisters wanted to do this to mom and I knew that it wasn’t right. Your husband must have a heart of gold and that is why you love him. Find out why he loves his grandmother so much and perhaps it will flow into you. Miracles do happen.

D

debnie

That post was wonderful... Please pass the tissues! This is what our world needs, kindness and understanding. You are a blessing to your mom, you are showing her the same love that she showed you growing up I am sure.

A

Always searching

I had one more thought. Why don't you ask her to pay you some rent. It takes the edge off. Not a lot of money, but it would at least get you all a little bit of money to go out on the town every now and then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">