• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Runaway 16 y.o.--stay gone!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Theresa Norman

My husband and I have had a deteriorating relationship with our son. After school problems,refusing counseling,evidence of drug & alcohol use,ignoring all home rules,including curfew,when we took away his last two privileges (phone & computer)he once again ran away. This time he is not welcome back in our home. How do we legally keep him from returning? Can we declare him emancipated?

A

Agent Orange

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theresa Norman:
My husband and I have had a deteriorating relationship with our son. After school problems,refusing counseling,evidence of drug & alcohol use,ignoring all home rules,including curfew,when we took away his last two privileges (phone & computer)he once again ran away. This time he is not welcome back in our home. How do we legally keep him from returning? Can we declare him emancipated?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN?

In some states parents are not allowed to reject their children coming back into the home. If you want him out, send him to boot camp when he shows back up ~hint~ don't let him know what you are going to do.

On another note: Have you tried to sit down and have a serious talk with him? It sounds as if you have not connected with him as he gets older. We all know parents get busy and as the children get older, we tend to think of them doing their own thing is good for them (some cases it isn't). Maybe he's rebeling against something, and you won't know what that is until you ask him, without sounding nosey. You and he need to start fresh and try to salvage what relationship you have. Kicking him out for good may not be the best thing. Think of what it was like for you at his age. Even thought times change, we don't as children growing up to become adults, it's all the same basic experiences.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">