• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SHARED PARENTING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorib31

I LIVE IN WV. MY EX OF ONE YEAR IS NOW ASKING FOR SHARED PAERNTING. DO I HAVE TO GIVE IN TO THIS. PRIOR TO SEPARATION, BY A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PETITION, I WAS A STAY AT HOME MOTHER. NOW I WORK FULL TIME . THEIR FATHER WANTS TO SPEND TIME WITH THEM AND I WANT THEM TO.THE SHARED PARENT ARRAANGEMENT THAT HE HAS PETITIONED FOR IS ONE WEEK HERE AND ONE WEEK THERE. I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF SHARED PAERNTING, AND DO SOMEWHAT AGREE WITH IT. I JUST CANT MAKE MYSELF AGREE WITH THE THAT TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT. BY THE WAY, HE HAS NOT INFLICTED VIOLENCE ON THE CHILDREN. MY YOUNGEST CHILD IS 4 YEARS OLD , AND I AM ESPECIALLY CONCERNED ABOUT HIM.

MySonsMom

Shared parenting has it's pros and cons. I personally would never agree to it just because I feel that is too much activity in a childs life. It's important that they have a "home" and as much as a "normal" life as possible. That to me is too much moving around and too unstable for any child. Please think of that aspect before making a decision. Especially as they get older, it will be harder on them...With school, activities and friends..It may get in the way. I'm a big fan of joint custody, with one parent having physical. The child(ren) lives with one parent and visits the other. The non custodial parent still has access to all records and can participate in decision making, and can be as involoved or not as involved as he or she would like. This way, a child has stability without sacrificing a relationship with one parent. Good luck! :)

U

usdeeper

What does the current (if any) court agreement say ?. I personally am against anything that does away with a stable environment for a child.. one week there, one week here etc is silly in my view.

No, you do not have to agree to it just because he wants it.. before I answer an more, we need to know what current court orders are in place..

P

paula2

Usdeeper, I am familiar with some of WV law in this situation. They have put alot of new laws in effect permiting fathers more time and rights. They feel that it is important for both parents to have equal time with their children, and shared parenting is a big thing now. If the parents live close to each other and it would not be difficult for either parent to get the kids to the school in which they attend and both parents are responsible and the children would not be endangered physcially or emotionally by being in the fathers home, and she said they had joint custody, then it is very possible the courts will rule for shared parenting......it is now a big thing with the courts in WV, they feel it enables fathers to be a bigger part of the childrens lives. Also in WV it is automatic that when parents divorce joint custody is issued unless you can prove the other parent unfit, so his asking for shared custody, could be granted. She would have to show that the father lived too far away, and that might not be enough, or abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">