• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MaryL

I am going through a divorce in California. My ex has recently quit his job so that he will not be required to pay spousal support or any medical benifits. What if any options do I have to try to collect, can I wait till he gets another job months from now, or can the court order him to still provide medical for me? He is divorcing me, yet I am paying for the divorce, this is hard, because I am a student, who supported him while he got his career going, now that it's my turn to start an education, I have no support.
HELP!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaryL:
I am going through a divorce in California. My ex has recently quit his job so that he will not be required to pay spousal support or any medical benifits. What if any options do I have to try to collect, can I wait till he gets another job months from now, or can the court order him to still provide medical for me? He is divorcing me, yet I am paying for the divorce, this is hard, because I am a student, who supported him while he got his career going, now that it's my turn to start an education, I have no support.
HELP!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

It makes no difference that he has quit his job "so that he will not be required to pay spousal support or any medical benifits."

Historically, California courts limited consideration of a parent's earning capacity (in lieu of actual income) to the narrow situation where the record demonstrated the parent was deliberately shirking family financial responsibilities by intentionally suppressing income or refusing to accept or seek gainful employment (so-called "Philbin rule"). [Philbin v. Philbin (1971) 19 Cal.App.3d 115, 119, 121, 96 Cal.Rptr. 408, 411-412; Marriage of Williams (1984) 155 Cal.App.3d 57, 62, 202 Cal.Rptr. 10, 14; see Marriage of Simpson (1992) 4 Cal.4th 225, 232, 14 Cal.Rptr.2d 411, 415]

Thus, following the "Philbin" approach, so long as consistent with the obligor's age, health, skills, etc. and employment opportunities, support could properly be set on the basis of what the obligor was realistically capable of earning.

In other words, the court will "impute" a certain "level" of earning capacity to your husband, and make an order of support based upon that, which will, in turn, put the burden back on him to obtain a job, and to keep it so that he will not be held in contempt of court for nonpayment of support.

Obviously, he's not the first soon-to-be-ex who has tried this gambit - - nor will he be the last. A lot of spouses are under a misbelief that if they quit their jobs, or take lower paying jobs, that they can shirk their responsibilities. Wrong. But, he'll learn, soon enough, that it doesn't work - - only he will (work, that is).

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">