• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

spousal support / retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dumpee

I have been married 20 yrs, live in Minnesota. We are in mediation for divorce. My spouse thinks all he has to do is split the assets and support the kids till their 18. I have not worked a "normal" full-time job for 15 years, so my earning power is about half of his, at best. I have no pension, etc, and have paid very little into social security. He,on the other hand, would receive nearly $6,000/mo plus ss, if he works to age 65 (he plans to retire at 60). I will certainly have to work till then or longer. Optimistically, with investing the assets and my earnings,etc, the sum total of my assets would equal about 1 or 2 years of his retirement checks. Question: With a long-term marriage, what should I expect in the way of spousal support, or a more equitable division of assets?

U

usdeeper

You need an attorney. Do not rely on an agreement drawn up in mediation because they are not always there to look after YOUR best interests. You should be looking for some of that retirement fund and maybe even alimony.

Also, look to get him to support the kids until they are 18 or when they leave high school, whichever is latest. Also that he contributes to their college. If there is a house, look to keep it and stay in it until the children are off to college..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">