• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations on Divorce proceedings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MLHT

My divorce was in May 1998, in Los Angeles California and we did it ourselves with nolo because there were no children involved. I was helping a friend to do the same and I saw that when papers are initially served they should not be done by either party. I served my spouse the divorce papers. Does that make this divorce null and void or does this give me a legal way to reopen the divorce case? I'm looking for a legal way to reopen the divorce proceedings. But I'm not sure if too much time has passed.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MLHT:
My divorce was in May 1998, in Los Angeles California and we did it ourselves with nolo because there were no children involved. I was helping a friend to do the same and I saw that when papers are initially served they should not be done by either party. I served my spouse the divorce papers. Does that make this divorce null and void or does this give me a legal way to reopen the divorce case? I'm looking for a legal way to reopen the divorce proceedings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why ?

Was the divorced signed off and finished with ? ie, is it over ?

M

MLHT

Yes, the divorce is final. I want to reopen the divorce because I believe he did not list all of the assests.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MLHT:
Yes, the divorce is final. I want to reopen the divorce because I believe he did not list all of the assests.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then that unfortunately is your loss.. the time to check and investigate was before the divorce was final. There are a whole manner of ways to do this.

For now, you just need to forget and move on.

T

Thomas Saccuci

My divorce was in May 1998, in Los Angeles California and we did it ourselves with nolo because there were no children involved. I was helping a friend to do the same and I saw that when papers are initially served they should not be done by either party. I served my spouse the divorce papers. Does that make this divorce null and void or does this give me a legal way to reopen the divorce case? I'm looking for a legal way to reopen the divorce proceedings. But I'm not sure if too much time has passed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My ex just tried to reopen my divorce. In Ca. its 2 years if you can prove abuse. Other than that its one year. Looks like you are done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">