• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepfather coustody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katherine01

This is my second divorce. I have two children,one from the first marraige and one from the second. My problem is that my second exhusband wants custody(or visitation rights)to my oldest son from the previous marraige. What rights does he have? :confused:

P

paula2

You don't say what state you live in, but in some states if the step father has been a big part of the childs life and his attorney can prove that there is a bond and connection there and it would not be in the best interest of the child to sever the relationship, then, yes he could be granted visitation rights. In TN if a non parent is granted visitation, in return for this privilege, they are required to pay support.

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by katherine01:
This is my second divorce. I have two children,one from the first marraige and one from the second. My problem is that my second exhusband wants custody(or visitation rights)to my oldest son from the previous marraige. What rights does he have? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long were you married ?... bottom line, he has virtually none. Even less since the Supreme court ruled that Grandparents have no rights to anything if the child is being careful properly.

Some states do have a step parent visitation but I think a good attorney would easily defeat any attempt by him considering the Supreme court ruling.

As for Custody.. hardly worth an answer. Not a snowballs chance in hell..

However, for the sake of your younger child, you may want to consider visitation of the oldest child at the same time in an out of court personal agreement. But this very much depends on what agreement is in place for the other father, how the child feels about the step father etc etc etc..

------------------
:) SMILE - Start Making It Livable for Everyone

Divorce is a process over which children have no control. Children should not be its victims.
When parents are under stress, it is harder to be in touch with their children's pain and anguish.
It takes time, effort, and planning on the part of the parents to be able to provide for the children's needs.
In the crisis of divorce, parents may put their children on hold while they attend to adult problems first.
Sometimes separating/divorced parents find that their roles and expectations are undefined and cloudy.
If handled properly, divorce need not be devastating for children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">