• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepkid Blues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concernedstep

My stepson lives in KY. He will be 18 in July 2001. We pay child support of much more than was ordered and did not drop it when my step daughter turned 18 two years ago. I want to drop it some (not alot) because she refuses us to let us be involved in matters with his poor school behavior/grades and tells us that its her problem and to butt out, but we do not want to be taken back to court for more, which most likely will happen. How long would a new court order take if she tries it now? Would she only be able to get the amounts on the child support tables or could she go after other things we have?Thanks for any advise.

S

sflaw

I could not tell you how long it would take the court to modify the child support. However, you do need to get a court order from the judge in order to modify your daughter's child support. The judge will grant it if there are changed circumstances, such as if the needs of the child changed.

------------------
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.
I will try to give you general guidance and point you in the right direction, but only a lawyer licensed to practice law in YOUR state who is serving as YOUR lawyer can provide you "legal advice" to rely on.

MySonsMom

Child support is based on both parents income. Now, just to warn you; if you have had a significance pay increase in the past years you may end up having to pay more. I suggest looking at the child support calcalations to get an idea of what you should be actually paying. If you should in fact be paying less, file a child support modification and see if it can be changed...If not don't let it backfire on you. Good luck!http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/4213/archive/csc.htm

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

C

concernedstep

Help! Why do I need a court order to Modify my daughters support, once she was 18, it should have ended???? For the last ten years we have paid two and one half times what the court ordered so it wouldn't matter for the amount but next year they are both over 18 and can't we just stop paying after that or do I have to file something? Yikes!!Thanks for responses!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">