• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for Pain and Suffering from Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lin Woods2

I am (was) a well-off wife in my 50's whose husband had an affair. I am in a community property state (Wash). He had no financial assets when he married me.

Even though he gave me two STD's the state allowed him to take half my assets.

My post divorce has been tormented by depression and anxiety, skin rashes and insomnia and I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the grief this divorce caused.

May I sue my ex for causing these physical ills? I would have not been so upset if he hadn't grabbed (legally) half my assets when he was the immoral one.

I am sure I am not alone in this sad history.

------------------

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lin Woods2:
I am (was) a well-off wife in my 50's whose husband had an affair. I am in a community property state (Wash). He had no financial assets when he married me.

Even though he gave me two STD's the state allowed him to take half my assets.

My post divorce has been tormented by depression and anxiety, skin rashes and insomnia and I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the grief this divorce caused.

May I sue my ex for causing these physical ills? I would have not been so upset if he hadn't grabbed (legally) half my assets when he was the immoral one.

I am sure I am not alone in this sad history.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What is the DATE you first noticed, or were diagnosed with, STD's?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

L

Lin Woods2

Answer: One month after he took a business trip and the "other woman was there". He freely admitted to the indiscretion. There was no question as to culpability. My Washington attorney said my health problems are moot in this state with regard to divorce.

------------------

E

erica4

Maybe it's because I'm going through a divorce right now and I feel the need to vent...

The STD's may definitely be an issue that has some legal possibilities attached (we'll leave that to the experts)...BUT...

As far as the skin rashes, depression, insomnia, etc. -- it's all part of being a member of the Divorce Club. 99% of the men and women who have posted a message on this board are suffering just as you -- some not so much -- some worse...some deserve it -- some don't. That's life and it ain't fair. Best advice is to climb this mountain, cut your losses and move on. Sorry for preaching.

R

rednelok

My husband only gave me one STD, well before he ran off with the last woman he was involved with. As for taking half, that is pretty typical. Welcome to the wonderful world of no fault divorce. My husband had nothing but three kids from previous marriages, and had gone bankrupt. Everything we had was due to my good credit, and he kept it all. He needed the house, the cars, and all the money in the bank. He used my Mastercard to fix up his girlfriend's parents home. Now I am bankrupt too, plus I had to go into hiding to escape from the constant harrasment. Now I can only hope for a divorce without further risk to myself. Everytime I run across a man who crys that his ex is reaming him I tell him that sometimes it works the other way around. By the way, he also left me with 2 of the 3 kids (not mine). After all, he knocked up the girlfriend, and had a new family. Fortunately I finished raising them okay, in fact the youngest just bought her first house! Sorry to ramble, but it just seems so unfair to be taken to the cleaners (in so many ways).

W

Waldo

I remember seeing in the news several women, and men have sued the ex AND the woman/man who caused the break up of the marriage.
Is turning the other cheek better than an eye for an eye? I have no idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">