• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking back what's owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronicalo

my fiance and i have been living together for over a year and two months. this in the state of Texas is common law marriage. when i first got together with him, we discussed that he was more apt to getting the better paying job and that he was the breadwinner so we decided that i was going to work something out with my vehicle for a while until he got on his feet and bought himself a car. after a year, the car breaks down because he didn't take care of it. at this point we mutually agreed that i could go to school while he worked so that my chances in finding a better paying job would be greater. i carpooled with a friend from school and he had complete control of the car. when it broke down he made a small effort to fix it and when learning that it was going to need a new motor he left it alone. he was going to receive a $1600 check soon from the IRS and even at that refused to fix the car that belonged to me and refused to keep paying on it since he wasn't using it no more. his father turned his car over to him. this car was also in its "last dying days". when it broke down, he made a small effort to buy the parts or even take it to a mechanic. times were hard without a vehicle. my parents offered their support as did his. when the $1600 check came in he put it down on new car under his name only. the car is his and is needed for his job because "his job is more important" than mine since he is the breadwinner. yet we both know that my job would be helpful. he hasn't bought me clothes or anything since i last had a job. and even then i put my bills aside to put food in our mouths because his pay is not cutting it. i haven't been able to pay my debts out. i'm in the hole $4000 because i have sacrificed all and then some. he hasn't done anything to help me.
in March, after several times of cashing his checks through my bank there was a mixup. on a Monday, i was able to take out what i had deposited days before. the bank allowed me to deposit the check on the previous Thursday, but on my bank statement it didn't show as a deposit. i was then charged with over $100 in overdraft fees. one day my bank calls and notifies me that my check was sent to my mother's address. my fiance is to go by the bank and sign his name to be kept in my records for further check cashing. at that time, he is waiting for his picture driver's license to come in the mail after misplacing the old one. the bank was going to need a picture i.d. from him. it was all impossible. i pick the check up from my mother. my fiance goes to cash the check and was supposed to deposit the money into my account and doesn't. instead he spends it on items that we need for the house. he promises to replace the money the following week and here we are. i'm getting collection notices. i have no car and no job. meanwhile he has both. he's able to pay child support because it gets taking out of his check, but he can't offer me not even $5.
Can i do anything about it. i've told him that i can sue him. and he believes it. but will a judge rule in my favor?

What to do?

Taking bak what's owed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">